Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is Cooper, and I'm a network dummy and I could use a little advice form the IT savvy.

I acquired a swank notebook from my previous employer and am using for my business at home. It's running XP Pro SP3. I'm an admin user logging onto a work domain. Thing is, I don't need to use the domain any longer, and my home network is workgroup based. I haven't had any luck setting up a bridge to connect the domain machine with my workgroup.

I can find no shortage of instructions for switching the machine to a workgroup, which seems the most logical choice. But in doing so there has to be some downside. I guess I would need to import my Outlook PST so I can still access my old email. My Palm desktop also seems to be tied to my domain based user. I also sync Outlook to a Symbian based mobile phone. Those three are my biggest concerns.

- Are there any other issues I should expect with the change?
- Is setting up a bridge going to be easier?
- Does this post make my hard drive look fat?

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
thinkcooper said:
Hi, my name is Cooper, and I'm a network dummy and I could use a little advice form the IT savvy.

I acquired a swank notebook from my previous employer and am using for my business at home. It's running XP Pro SP3. I'm an admin user logging onto a work domain. Thing is, I don't need to use the domain any longer, and my home network is workgroup based. I haven't had any luck setting up a bridge to connect the domain machine with my workgroup.

I can find no shortage of instructions for switching the machine to a workgroup, which seems the most logical choice. But in doing so there has to be some downside. I guess I would need to import my Outlook PST so I can still access my old email. My Palm desktop also seems to be tied to my domain based user. I also sync Outlook to a Symbian based mobile phone. Those three are my biggest concerns.

- Are there any other issues I should expect with the change?
- Is setting up a bridge going to be easier?
- Does this post make my hard drive look fat?
provided you have admin rights, this should be zero issue, including (no) changes to the local account/profile. bring the .pst file (where is it?) over and point outlook at it. as far as the palm, i haven't seen one since palm II. i'm using a crackberry.

a fat (phat?) HDD is a good thing. ;)

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
haiku d'etat said:
provided you have admin rights, this should be zero issue, including (no) changes to the local account/profile. bring the .pst file (where is it?) over and point outlook at it. as far as the palm, i haven't seen one since palm II. i'm using a crackberry.

a fat (phat?) HDD is a good thing. ;)
.pst is in the typical location, if I copy it to the new user account directory, and then point outlook to it, that should work.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
thinkcooper said:
.pst is in the typical location, if I copy it to the new user account directory, and then point outlook to it, that should work.
yup..I've done that many times. should work fine.

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
I would create a user account instead of logging in as the administrator all the time. It's a little more secure.

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nate said:
I would create a user account instead of logging in as the administrator all the time. It's a little more secure.
Can I set-up a new user account with admin privs using a workgroup log-in and keep the original admin account with the domain log-in?

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
thinkcooper said:
don't forget the .pab file, btw...

·
gazing from the shadows
27,288 Posts
thinkcooper said:
Can I set-up a new user account with admin privs using a workgroup log-in and keep the original admin account with the domain log-in?
The reason for not having privs is a security issue. With privs the computer can do things (install things mostly), and that is bad. Without admin privs the machine, even if compromised, cannot propigate the problem further in the network.

Personally, I would suggest only logging in with privs when they are needed. You want that network as secure as possible, and you might want to sell that security to a client someday. Or rather use those security practices to sell the client. Use an account without privs for surfing the net.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
haiku d'etat said:
don't forget the .pab file, btw...
color me ignorant, but what's the .pab file? Preferences? Archives?

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
yeah...after I posted I figured it out...address book...
man, you guys are moreons. :rolleyes: ;)

;) ;)

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
haiku d'etat said:
man, you guys are moreons. :rolleyes: ;)

;) ;)
I thought everyone already knew that? :cool:

//51 more posts to 11k J's.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.