Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get another pair of Clinchers and am thinking about the Neutrons. Looking for these to be daily "beaters" on my Pinarello Prince. The roads where I live are flat, good, and I weigh 175 lbs.

Any advice? Reasons to get these over Shamal's or Eurus?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
they're nice, with a few more spokes - but i think you can build better wheels with record hubs on your choice of rim... about the same weight, easily repairable - just as nice hubs...

since the price is so close to eurus, i'd prolly get the new 2-way, if for nothing other than the factory tubeless support, differential rims and alu spokes are a bit different, and can;t easily be duplicated in a custom build.

That said, neutrons (and older protons) are good quality wheels - just not as functional as customs.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Excellent wheels, but

... you can build a better wheel with Record hubs, CX Ray or Revloution spokes for less money and less weight and easier to rebuild.

·
Registered
324 Posts
They are campy's best allround training wheel IMO.

Depends on the price you can get em for - I got mine cheaper than handbuilts...

If hand builts are cheaper, then go that way - if not, buy the neutrons.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
the other thing is that campy rims are notoriously hard to mount... nothing is more maddening than flatting, and then pinching the replacement tube! - for me, while i like campy prebuilts - i have moved onto my own handbuilds: tires should be able to be hand-mounted IMHO.

that and i have wheel lighter, more aero and more serviceable than eurus for racing, and now i'm lacing up some c.1385g 24mm wheels. Kick the sh!te thru factory wheels! I personally stopped caring when i realised i had to deal with proprietary parts as well as BS marketing. My scale says mid-08 Zondas weigh just shy of 1700g. Frig, I can beat that on an OP build!

·
Registered
223 Posts
They are brilliant. I have been training & racing on them for years and years and I am a heavy guy and have never had a problem. I love them.

·
You talking to me?
736 Posts
Neutrons have been great for me. Have 'em on two bikes. I once hit a deep pothole at 40 mph (both water bottles were "launched" - one was never found again) and there was no damage or trueing required. I also have three or four friends (one at 210lbs) who use them with never once an issue.

·
Banned
976 Posts
Imo. .

I've been on Neutrons for years, and they are excellent for racing or training. I feel it's Campys best overall wheelset. They wheels are notorious for being absolutely bullet-proof, and it seems so. Many thousands of miles and they are dead straight. Can't say that about my very expensive hand-builts that now sit on my floor collecting dust.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I have a brand new set and the clicking and creaking under power is unbelievably annoying from the rear hub (I weigh 130 lbs). I'm assuming this is an isolated occurence. As soon as I am back at the dealer these are going to be shown to them. BTW, if you hunt around they are about the same price as a hand built set using Record hubs.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I haven't had good luck with Neutron Ultras. Busted a rear spoke at 3500 miles. Campy reported a problem with a batch of spokes and offered to repair it under warranty, but it took 2 months!

Equally frustrating is the difficulty in mounting tires. I flatted today and it was next to impossible to remove and remount the tire.

I won't buy another set, and much prefer my Ksyriums.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I put them on my wife's bike

I put the Neutron Ultras on my wife's bike. She cannot get the tires on or off. I ended up putting slime in the tubes for her. I have the Eurus on my bike and changing tires is much easier. I can change the tires on the Neutron Ultras, but it is a work out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts