Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· waterproof*
41,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a pair of the R28 Aero's when they first came out. Been racing on them about 3 years now, including the occasional fast training ride and maybe a bit of gravel here and there. Ok, more than a bit. I weigh 190 when fit, 200 when not and my bike is at least 25 lbs in regular rig.

So, last year I finally broke my first spoke - rear drive side. No biggie, was able to ride home and replace it with one of the spares that came with the wheel. In fact the wheel didn't wobble much at all even with the low spoke count.

This year I've probably put more hard miles on the wheels than all the other years combined. About 20 races, lots of fast group rides, crits, etc. Last week on a ride I broke another spoke (while torquing in a big gear up a steep hill, duh). No prob, continue my ride and fix it later. Except, next lap, same hill, ping again, Now I have 2 broken drive side spokes on a 24 spoke wheel. Limped home slowly. Thank God I have a frame with decent clearance or I would've been calling the spouse.

So I emailed Neuvation, said can you send more spokes. John got right back and said if you break 2 he recommends a rebuild. Ok, no prob, it's a light wheel and it's served me well, I'll rebuild it, can you send spokes? Sure, on the way.

I get back from vacation to find... a complete new rear wheel, in the box.

That, my friends is service above and beyond expectations.

At no time did I ask for anything like that; I'm a heavy guy, I'm hard on equipment and these wheels have stood up well to my abuse, so I'm perfectly willing to pay to keep them running.

Thanks John Neugent, you have a fan.

· Registered
3 Posts
I'm glad to hear about your positive experience with Neuvation. I've been wanting to upgrade my wheels for sometime now, and have considered Neuvation. You can't touch the price they offer, which gave me concern for their quality. Your testimony gives confidence....no wait, it has just made my decision for me. I will be ordering from Neuvation soon.

· Registered
1,627 Posts
I've known John for a few years (via email) and he really comes across as a class act. His 38mm carbon tubulars are still the best wheels I've ever ridden (judging simply by subjective "road feel"), and I've turned a few friends on to his wheels. They are very happy with them.

Sometimes John will offer you "team pricing" if you can get a group of people to go in on a big order. You can email him for more info.

· Registered
23 Posts
I have some M28 aeros and the rear cassette body starting making noise. I removed it and could feel the pawls catching for about 4 clicks. I emailed John and he sent me another hub. The new one runs smooth all the way around. I'm another happy customer and I will be buying more from him. It should always be this easy.

· Knives, Guns, and Booze
2,942 Posts
Mine were Performance/Supergo-branded M28s, so I actually had to have a shop re-spoke the rear for me when the drive-side spokes started breaking (I had two break, which involved two services at the local bike shop, leading up to an eventual re-spoke/rebuild). I had somewhere in the neighbourhood of 2,600 miles on the wheels when the first spoke broke.

· Registered
183 Posts
my team is sponsored by neuvation so a bunch of my teammates ride john's wheels. they all seem to love them. they must hold up well because some of our 3's do more that 35 races a season on the wheels!!!! next time i buy wheels, theyll be neuvations!

· Registered
15 Posts
Im new to road biking - I needed to shed weight (put it this way, i've been riding for 6 months and im down to 280). 2 months ago I bought a set of M28's and they are incredible. I am enormus by biking standards, and this wheels are perfect!!!! I put 100-125 miles a week on them and not one problem.

· Registered
2 Posts
Incredible customer service!

I had a spoke hole on the hub of my rear wheel break. A replacement wheel arrived at my doorstep (on the other side of the US from Neuvation) in 3 days! John truly leads the way in customer service!
Thanks John!

· It's not easy being green
316 Posts
Just emailed him about the r28 SL5's. Really interested in the lightness. Did you guys get the wheel protection plan with your purchase? I'm all the way in Florida and think it might be a good idea if I need a fix.

· Registered
2,392 Posts
Thanks for the info Creaky Knees. I'm 6'3" and around your weight. I'm also a big chain ring guy and I abuse the crap out of my current wheels on climbs. They are Neuvation M28 Aero 3s. Been communicating with John for a couple of years. Initially, I had a pair of R350s and started having problems after two years of use. The wheel was discontinued so John gave me a set up M28 Aeros. Just like that! mine were past the warranty period and he still backed them!! I've had the spoke problem on the M28 Aeros and the M28 Aero 2s as well but a lot sooner than on the R350s. Each time, John gave me an entire wheelset. My last replacement was just the rear wheel but iot was the Aero3 with it's new hub design. He didn't give me a complete wheelset and I was happy for that. I had good front wheels that I didn't need lying around. Haven't had a problem since. I love these wheels!! I'm still losing weight so I can feel comfortable on those R28s. Thanks to your post, I'll be buying them within the next month. John Neugent is so confident in his product and his customer service is second to none. Why buy anything else? My take is that if he's doing replacements this easily, this must be a good product and I've just had a few misfortunes along the way. Don't think for a minute that I'm blinded by this. I've owned 2 sets Mavic Ksyrium Elites, a set of Ksyrium SSC SLs, and a set of Cosmic Elites. Each had spoke failure and Mavic never should this much support with their products. Also, Neuvation wheels spin like there's no tomorrow so you might want to think twice if you're considering the ceramic bearing upgrade- there's really no need for it. I'm a Neuvation owner for life.

· Registered
267 Posts
This might be a stupid question, I have a no name brand 36 spoke count rim on the front and a mavic open pro dura ace 36 spoke rim on the rear. I was curious on how much they weigh so I got the scale out and BAM 2100grams!!!!! My bike i'm riding only weighs 17 pounds with these beasts on them and i'm averaging 20 mph on rides over 20 miles. I've been looking at the Nuevation rims, not sure which ones would be beneficial for me. I'm mostly recreational and commute 25 miles one way to school, so 50 miles round trip I should say. Maybe one day I'll start racing. I guess what i'm asking is, would spending 300-400$ on rims be a big performance gain over the Durable, porky rims I have now.

· Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
I got rid of mine

:( Cust service WAS great, but I could barely go a month without popping spokes. (R28sl's). So, I sold'em. And I'm about the same weight as you.

· Registered
2,651 Posts
Yes, Mr. Neugent is great...but his wheels are not.
Almost wiped out when his rear wheel tacoed out after a spoke broke. Wound up being a cracked hub at the spoke hole too. Luckily stopped and unclipped. Had to get sag ride home. He replaced and I promptly sold the wheels on Ebay. They seemed to dangerous, despite the great customer service.

· Registered
292 Posts
jmio said:
I guess what i'm asking is, would spending 300-400$ on rims be a big performance gain over the Durable, porky rims I have now.
No question about it. If there is anywhere you should lose weight on a bit it's wheels. The less rotating weight the better.

edit: Found this snippet that really summed up the importance of wheel weight/aerodynamics/etc

Aerodynamics is very important if you go very fast and relatively unimportant if you don't. The cut off line is about 20 mph and increase dramatically above 25 mph. So if you are a pro level rider averaging 25 mph it is a huge issue. If you are a club rider going 17 mph it's not so important.

Wheel weight is very important since it is weight in motion. Rim weight is more important that total overall weight since it's the furthest from the center and requires more force to get it moving. Once a wheel is at speed the weight is mostly unimportant unless you are going up a hill where it becomes very important. So wheel weight is most important in getting wheels up to speed and in hill climbing.

Stiffness is more important to larger and/or stronger riders who can flex wheels quite a bit. Professional riders normally release their rear brake going up hills because they would touch the brake pads if they didn't (note they engage them again at the top). Stiffer wheels also bend less for every rider and therefore deliver more power to the road. Stiffer wheels are also heavier.

· Registered
1,301 Posts
Hooben said:
Yes, Mr. Neugent is great...but his wheels are not.
Almost wiped out when his rear wheel tacoed out after a spoke broke. Wound up being a cracked hub at the spoke hole too. Luckily stopped and unclipped. Had to get sag ride home. He replaced and I promptly sold the wheels on Ebay. They seemed to dangerous, despite the great customer service.
Sorry about your experience, but most have reported solid service from their Neuvations. Wheel/spoke issues are not unique to one wheel maker.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=109023&highlight=wheel+failure

· Registered
267 Posts
morryjg said:
No question about it. If there is anywhere you should lose weight on a bit it's wheels. The less rotating weight the better.

edit: Found this snippet that really summed up the importance of wheel weight/aerodynamics/etc

Aerodynamics is very important if you go very fast and relatively unimportant if you don't. The cut off line is about 20 mph and increase dramatically above 25 mph. So if you are a pro level rider averaging 25 mph it is a huge issue. If you are a club rider going 17 mph it's not so important.

Wheel weight is very important since it is weight in motion. Rim weight is more important that total overall weight since it's the furthest from the center and requires more force to get it moving. Once a wheel is at speed the weight is mostly unimportant unless you are going up a hill where it becomes very important. So wheel weight is most important in getting wheels up to speed and in hill climbing.

Stiffness is more important to larger and/or stronger riders who can flex wheels quite a bit. Professional riders normally release their rear brake going up hills because they would touch the brake pads if they didn't (note they engage them again at the top). Stiffer wheels also bend less for every rider and therefore deliver more power to the road. Stiffer wheels are also heavier.

I started biking this summer, or should I say cold a$$ february in ohio this year at 230 pounds(mostly muscle). I lived in the gym, lifting the big weights. That is until I found the pure joy of road biking. I weigh 190 now and still losing weight gradually. would neuvation rims hold up? or should I be looking at stiffer, higher quality..........more expensive?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.