Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to start a thread of my future bike. I had posted a previous thread on "pulling the trigger". Well, I finally did. I will try to be posting weekly on reviews as I get into my cycling journey with this bike. I will take pictures on how it arrives from the box to the fully assembled product.

I opted for the SRAM Rival Components. I've heard pure great things on these. I wanted a black and yellow theme, so I opted for the yellow tires and yellow bar tape. My future add ons will be yellow bottle cages along with some simple decals to personalize it a bit. I am truly excited! I currently have a steel 1989 Dave Scott Ironman. I like the bike, but wanted something a bit more updated on components. I can't wait. I emailed John today to get an estimated ship date due to this holiday week. He mentioned that it will still be shipped by the end of the week! I've been bitten by the road bug so bad that all I wanna do is ride and read up on this sport. I even wanna subscribe to all the mags out there! One step at a time. My future goal is do easy 50-70mi training rides. I am on a journey on becoming an avid cyclist, supporter of the sport, and improving my health & physique. Hope all goes well. I will be posting pics soon. I attached the image of what I ordered.

On a short note: For those who have never dealt with John, he responded to all emails. He answered within 24hrs on every single question I had. Even before I receive his product, I can say he has great customer service, which is written all over his website.

·
I'm slow
213 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase. I recently bought an FC-100 with Force, love it so far. I only got a couple hundred miles in before the cold/snow hit so I don't have a full review but I will say that Neuvation was great to deal with. I am anxious to see your bike with the yellow tires and tape, I was going to go that route but switched to white at the last minute. Can't wait to hear your opinions and see the pics.

·
Never Give Up!
1,241 Posts
Welcome to the sport of cycling... it is infectious. looks like a nice setup, enjoy it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
328 Posts
This is pretty much my future bike as well, but I'll either go Force or Red. I'm also getting some other wheels (possibly Reynolds Assaults), though I may still get the Neuvation ones that come with the bike.

John definitely does have a good business model - minimal advertising, sponsorship, and middle-men leads to rock bottom prices.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That last pic was the only thing off. It was chipped and it was off when I opened the box. Must have been during the shipping. The cork tape was not damaged. I will just replace them with my cinellis. Let me know what you think of the color scheme. By the way, fit is GREAT!!!!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guys, in your opinion, how do my handle bars look in position. Most people tell me that the handle bar drop should be closely parallel to the floor. I tried that but it seemed that the hoods were dropped to low and I was stretching way to far. What do you all think. I mean, with this set up I feel good, so I guess that's all that matters, just wanted opinions. I should be getting a pro fit in couple of months after I break it in a bit. Thanks for any info.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
FINEMNT said:
Guys, in your opinion, how do my handle bars look in position. Most people tell me that the handle bar drop should be closely parallel to the floor. I tried that but it seemed that the hoods were dropped to low and I was stretching way to far. What do you all think. I mean, with this set up I feel good, so I guess that's all that matters, just wanted opinions. I should be getting a pro fit in couple of months after I break it in a bit. Thanks for any info.
I think what you're really saying is that the 2-3 inches of bar ahead of the end caps should be about parallel with the ground. But aesthetics aside, what matters is fit and what feels right to you. So if it feel good as is, IMO you should leave it be, at least for now.

FWIW my bars turn up a little, but that's my personal preference. Also, keep in mind that bars come in a multitude of shapes and sizes, so that 'guideline' can't always apply.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hank,

I guess I didn't describe it clearly. I meant what PJ said
"I think what you're really saying is that the 2-3 inches of bar ahead of the end caps should be about parallel with the ground". But like PJ's reply, it's all about how I feel. I just wanted some feedback. Thanks.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
fujio001 said:
The F100 is an awesome bike with a fantastic feel. Here is mine with 2010 Force....
That's a NICE setup you got there. Did you build the F100 frame, or did you order the complete bike? I just noticed you have a diff stem vs the Nevuation brand. Great looking bike.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I ordered the bike complete from Neuvation - a F100 with Force. The stem provided was too long so I had another one lying around which I used instead - 110mm.

I got the bike with SL5 wheelset and tubeless tires which are great - these were placed on my wife's bike - my Spinergy wheels were placed on my bike, and my wife's older and heavier neuvation wheels were placed on a Cevelo S1 which I decided to sell.

I actually prefer the ride of the F100 over the S1. It is much more compliant(they both had tubeless wheels) and the F100 is plenty stiff for my low output. The F100 is not quite the snappy handler but it is more enjoyable over 90% of the conditions I ride here in Hawaii.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My first 10miles on my bike will be this evening, I'll report how handeling, feel, comfort, etc. goes. I'm in love w/my bike, can't stop thinking about it, j/k, haha!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Forgot to mention that John at Neuvation sent me a Park Tools mechanic book. Don't know if this is standard, but it's a great freebie!

Ok, just came back from a 10 miler! Here is a short review on how it felt:

Comfort - way better ride than my old steel bike. This must be due to way better fit and geometry!

Extremely responsive. I pedal and this baby goes! I felt it was really smooth ride. Now, mind you, I've never ridden on a carbon bike, so I can't compare besides other aluminum bikes and my current steel bike. I wanna say it rides way better compared to an Aluminum Colnago I've ridden on before, sub $3k bike!

2 things I'm wondering of:
1) A clicking noise in the front wheel. I've read somewhere else that all I need to do is pack the front wheel. Any comments?

2) When I pedal with force on the left pedal, I hear a squeek/wrench sound. And it's only with the left pedal, and only if I pedal down hard. Hmm, any idea on this?

I'll be doing a 30 miler in a few days, and I'll report on that. So far so good!

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
FINEMNT said:
Forgot to mention that John at Neuvation sent me a Park Tools mechanic book. Don't know if this is standard, but it's a great freebie!

Ok, just came back from a 10 miler! Here is a short review on how it felt:

Comfort - way better ride than my old steel bike. This must be due to way better fit and geometry!

Extremely responsive. I pedal and this baby goes! I felt it was really smooth ride. Now, mind you, I've never ridden on a carbon bike, so I can't compare besides other aluminum bikes and my current steel bike. I wanna say it rides way better compared to an Aluminum Colnago I've ridden on before, sub $3k bike!

2 things I'm wondering of:
1) A clicking noise in the front wheel. I've read somewhere else that all I need to do is pack the front wheel. Any comments?

2) When I pedal with force on the left pedal, I hear a squeek/wrench sound. And it's only with the left pedal, and only if I pedal down hard. Hmm, any idea on this?

I'll be doing a 30 miler in a few days, and I'll report on that. So far so good!
You could very well be right about the source of the noises, but IME noises resonate through a frame. So before packing the hub or greasing the pedal spindle, I'd try to pin down the source of the noises. What you think is the wheel, may actually be the stem or bars, but one thing to check is that the front skewer is adaquately tightened against the dropouts.

RE: the pedals/ crank. If you have a spare set of pedals, try them. If the squeak goes away, you know it's your new pedals, if it doesn't, you know it's not. Check the BB for play by alternately rocking the crank arms back and forth. Check the crank arm bolts for tightness.

There are other possibilities/ things to check for, but these are a start.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
PJ, always great advice, thank you once again! One thing I didn't do was grease the pedals! I'll try that. Then I'll go from there. I'm gonna email John as well. I would assume it's not the BB, I would think Neuvation would've caught this. Then again, you never know.0

1 - 20 of 107 Posts