Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I didn't like the wheels, but am very curious about the bike.

·
Two scoops of inertia.
530 Posts
they aren't extremely ugly. the alloy frame is just really awkward looking because it has this MASSIVE down tube and a super skiny top tube. The thumbnails of the carbon framed bike seem more balanced, but the big pics are all the same. Really what he needs to do is change the font for his company. A new, pretty logo would ramp up sales.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Dr. Placebo said:
they aren't extremely ugly. the alloy frame is just really awkward looking because it has this MASSIVE down tube and a super skiny top tube. The thumbnails of the carbon framed bike seem more balanced, but the big pics are all the same. Really what he needs to do is change the font for his company. A new, pretty logo would ramp up sales.

They look very similar to the Cervelo Soloist frames.

:idea:

·
waterproof*
41,745 Posts
No kidding. John, spend $1000 on a good graphic makeover. You'll see the return quickly.

I'm a Neuvation fan, but if I was going to go that route for a bike, I think Bikesdirect might get my credit card instead. Paint jobs are important to me, and I'm not a fan of the all-black craze.

·
Two scoops of inertia.
530 Posts
shoot, just having the logo in a different font and color would be nice. or put the letters against a panel with world champion stripes. Superficial I know, but it makes a difference.

And how could you put me on the spot about a cervelo. If I say something bad about them I'll find my trek's greasy fork under my bedsheet :p

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
I think it's pretty clear that the fit philosophy he alludes to is the same as Cervelos. Unfortunately, I think he went in the wrong direction to obtain that geometry: carbon tubes and alloy lugs. It results in a frame that is considerably heavier than the standard these days in carbon frames (+300 grams heavier), and alloy lugs and carbon tubes aren't a good match (given problems with oxidation that results in carbon-aluminum interfaces).

·
waterproof*
41,745 Posts
John's really open about his design goals for bikes, wheels etc. "Not the best, but the best value" to paraphrase. So while I understand the points about carbon / lugs, I suspect that'd be his answer.

Not that it matters to me; my next bike is going to be steel.

·
(not a real racer)
484 Posts
My wife and I picked up a set of the M28 wheels which are pretty awesome, BTW. I saw the new carbon frames at the Neuvation HQ and they look pretty darn good. I didn't have time to take one for a spin but they look a lot better in person than they do on the web. Just my $.02

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
So has anyone seen, tried or bought the Neuvation FC100 carbon frame/bike now? Pictures are here:

I think it looks pretty slick and understated, and I could live with the graphics. I like the curves in the seat and chain stays. The carbon frame hasn't been beaten with the ugly stick, unlike the alloy version.

I appreciate the earlier point about the lugs and carbon tube construction. It seems like a reasonable approach at this pricepoint. John's reputation and their warranty give me a good feeling, compared to some of the other on-line off-brand carbon frames.

I do wonder about the ride quality, specifically bottom bracket stiffness under heavy load. I'm not expecting it to compare to a top-of-the-line brand-name frame of course, but a full DA bike at this price from a reputable manufacturer seems pretty attractive.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
the same frame with other decals on it has won numerous US professional championships. The Taiwanese frame maker has made frames and carbon components for one of the worlds leading French brands.

who is the French Brand?

hell its almost worth it just for the grouppos and bike...sell the frame if your not happy with it and buy something else and you have a REALLY nice bike...

Chad

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.