Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize that there is a lot of love on this forum for John Neugents wheels. I was looking at his site the other day at the R28 Sl5/Aero4's and I noticed his comparison chart. John is listing the Sl rims at 440g and the Aero rims at 480g. Since his wheels are extremely light for the price and it is clearly not the rims that are lightening the set, I have to assume that he is using very light hubs (again, for the price). Is this true? Who makes them/what other wheelmakers use them?

My main concern with Neuvation is not John's customer service and it is certainly not the performance/price value. What worries me is the hubs. I couldn't get a custom set that is as light or as aero as John's for those prices, but I could get a set of Shimano hubs that I know will last forever. How do the Neuvation hubs perform? Are they smooth? Do they hold up well? Am I better off with brand name hubs that I know I can trust?

Any help from Neuvation owners and/or wheel experts would be much appreciated. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
16 Posts
in regards to the hubs i can tell you i just got my sl5 on thursday and i thought for what i paid i got a sick deal.. 1470 grams out of the box and ended up paying 279.95... to tell you the truth i think they look alot loke my easton vista sl's with have gone about 4 years without a true or a hub maintenace,but the sl5's rear hu is alot louder and smoother,,as far a longivity i cant say anything yet. what i can say is that your gonna get a decent product for peanuts and a hell of a customer service from what your reading on these forums.. good luck

·
Registered
87 Posts
I was set to inform my wife I was buying a set of Neuvation wheels, and then I saw a lot of reviews that said the read drive side flange breaks. I'm the kind of person that breaks things, so that concerned me a little. there was also some indication that a new flange design had been introduced. Obviously, that could help, or it could move the failure point further in on the hub. Seems to me that the $10 for the insurance policy would be well spent in this case.

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
I've got a set of M28 Aero 2's that I've been riding/racing all year....somewhere around 4000 miles on them so far. I've had zero issues with them so far.

I'm a strong CAT 4 racer and won a series that was comprised of 6 circuit races on them (though only participated in 4 races). This was a hilly circuit race with an uphill sprint at the end (each race was on the same course).

I've also done two time trials on them with zero problems this year.

Sprint wise, I've done lots of sign sprints on team group rides and they are plenty stiff enough and the hubs have given me zero problems. In fact the hub on the M28 Aero 2 is nearly silent

The hub flange problem they had in the past was fixed with a redesigned hub so that isn't really an issue any longer.

Overall....for the price, a great set of wheels.

I'd love to have a set of R28 Aero 4's with a steel hub freewheel. The aluminum ones I tend to chew up pretty quickly, but the steel ones I have no problems with. With the steel freewheel I'd have the lighter rotating weight of the R28's but the stronger freewheel of the M series hubs. Best of both wheels.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.