Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my stock ALX wheels with the Neuvations. They're a lot quieter, and faster at least going downhill, but the rear wheel went noticably out of true after just a few rides. This was perhaps related to some noticable pinging noises during the ride. I re-trued it and it went out of true again on the next ride, though less so. Trued again and so far so good. Not really the quality I'd been led to expect. The front wheel has been fine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Have the same wheels and can say they do take a pretty good pounding. Haven't had the rear hub failure yet that some have expirenced yet, but I do tend to spin more than mash. By the way I'm 6'2" 220lb. Maybe just a tension problem. Once everything seats and stretches, I would suspect all should be fine. Very good inexpensive wheelset.

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
russotto said:
I replaced my stock ALX wheels with the Neuvations. They're a lot quieter, and faster at least going downhill, but the rear wheel went noticably out of true after just a few rides. This was perhaps related to some noticable pinging noises during the ride. I re-trued it and it went out of true again on the next ride, though less so. Trued again and so far so good. Not really the quality I'd been led to expect. The front wheel has been fine.
Call the company...it's a one man show and he's usually great with customer service...even if they are purchased used. At a minimum he may be able to help you solve your issues...but he might do more than that to help you out.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Never ride your neuvations when they are even a little out of true. I did and wound up with a nasty taco that stopped my rear wheel from spinning. Great customer service if you can stay alive. Watch that hub for hairline cracks!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Hooben said:
Never ride your neuvations when they are even a little out of true. I did and wound up with a nasty taco that stopped my rear wheel from spinning./QUOTE]

Good advice for ANY wheelset, esp low spoke-count wheels. Rims & spokes are weak without the mutual support of proper build/alignment.

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
wankski said:
can someone elaborate pls on the 'hub failures'?? the rear ones crack? or the fronts too?
On earlier models there was an issue with the rear drive side hub and spokes pulling out/breaking the hub there.

However, the drive side on the hub has been reinforced and is much stronger these days and not nearly as much of an issue as it was in the past.

I've got a set of R28SL 2's and a set of M28 Aero 2's and there is a big difference between the hubs on both wheels with the newer M28's having a much stronger hub than the older R28's.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
i rode the crap out of my neuvation M28aeros. I rode them for 3 years, about 2000 miles per yr, and I'm about 190lbs. Most miles in downtown chicago. Extremely rough roads, and only had to true about 2mm from a nasty pothole on chicago avenue ONCE. They couldn't be better bombproof training wheels.
I'm since gone to Easton tempest2's, and about 2000 miles into them, very happy.
The cassette needed a tightening, and still awesome.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.