Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another wheel thread! Can you guys help me out?

I'm building up an Aegis Victory, so I would like a reasonably a light/aero wheelset that can double for everyday roads. My weight is only around 145lb (65kg), so I'm not too concerned with breaking them.

I'm considering the following:

*Neuvation M28 Aero3
*Soul 2.0 & 3.0 (looks sexy, but are they as good as the M28?)

Which is better?

I'm also thinking of used pairs of:
*Dura-Ace 7850 or 7801
*Ksyrium SSC/SL
*Neuvation C50

Considering that Mavic Open Pros are, what, less than 1600g? I should hope I can do better. My budget is roughly $600, but I'm sure I can find used $800+ wheels for the same price, so I'm open to suggestions, tubular or clincher.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
The Neuvations have a decent reputation and are way under your budget, even moving up to the R28aero4's which are lighter. Neuvation dos not recommend their carbon wheels for everyday use. Customer Service reported to be excellent. Soul's look good on web, but not sure there is US distributor or support (if that's an issue for you). In published tests, Ksyriums are not known for being aero. New DA wheels might fit your price range if you find a killer deal. For $600 you could also get into custom wheelset. I'm sure a good builder could suggest some sweet wheels for you. There are several who frequent this forum.

Personally, I would only buy used wheels if I KNEW their history & trusted previous owner.

BTW- Not sure what you mean by Open Pros are less than 1600g. Open Pro rims are commonly built with Ultegra or Dura Ace hubs are 28-32 spokes with wheelset weight around 1750-1850g. Generally regarded as solid, smooth-riding, durable everyday wheels, but not aero if you're into racing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I saw a couple posts about lightly built OPs earlier, like this one:
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showpost.php?p=1446162&postcount=14
Thanks for pointing out it's not the norm though, that's why I'm asking people here for opinions :)

Also, I would love to hear from custom builders here if they have any suggestions

I would probably go with Soul, but like you said, no support.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Zassazir said:
I saw a couple posts about lightly built OPs earlier, like this one:
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showpost.php?p=1446162&postcount=14
Thanks for pointing out it's not the norm though, that's why I'm asking people here for opinions :)

Also, I would love to hear from custom builders here if they have any suggestions

I would probably go with Soul, but like you said, no support.
Although not his wheels, I just dealt with Sean of Soul on a ti frame. He was a real pleasure to deal with and very patient with my endless questions and impatience on receiving the frame. I also believe he spends some time in the States as well as Singapore (so support may not be a huge issue). And I know he hand builds all his wheels himself.

·
Registered
119 Posts
you might want to try Rolwheels.com I also was looking to buy a new set of wheels Sean at Rol wheels seems to be a great guy I talked to him alot be e-mails and also on the phone they have a set called Volants @379.00 along with Race SL @ 579.00. I was leaning towards the best bang for my buck which was the Volants but then I found a brand new set of Dura Ace wheels WH-7850 at 425.00 no tax so I bought them damm I love these wheels

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm stoked... my LBS gave me a deal on a set of brand-new in-the-box black Neuvation R28 Aero 3's. Only $225 for the whole set!!

Thanks for recommending them over the M28's Oldteen. And thank you to everyone else's recommendations too.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Zassazir said:
I'm stoked... my LBS gave me a deal on a set of brand-new in-the-box black Neuvation R28 Aero 3's. Only $225 for the whole set!!

Thanks for recommending them over the M28's Oldteen. And thank you to everyone else's recommendations too.
Why did your LBS have Neuvations? I thought they were only direct to customer. Looks like you saved $70 + shipping over the Aero 4s. Not bad. Enjoy them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.