Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Can't Hardly Wait
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get a value set of wheels for my Gunnar. Am interested in the R28 Aero 3 from Nuevation and the Vuelta XRP Team SL. Vuelta, slightly lighter, more spokes, pricier.

I ride @ 190#. More of a spinner than grinder. Wheels for training and group rides. No racing at this point. What do the e-experts think?

G

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have the Neuvation R28 Aeros' on my bike. I'm 170lbs now, but was ~190lbs when I got them. No complaints, some flex if I'm really mashing the pedals, but it's not bad. I've got maybe 1500 miles on them and everything has held together. No loose spokes and the wheels are still in true.

I don't have any experience with the Vuelta's on a road bike. But I have the MTB version of the XRP Team wheels and they've been great so far. They were much lighter than the set of Mavic Crossrides they replaced, and the price wasn't too bad.

·
Cat 3 in TT, Cat 6 in Rd.
226 Posts
As far as Vuelta goes, avoid anything carbon by them. The rims are VERY flexy. I weigh around 160 and the things scared me in corners.

·
Can't Hardly Wait
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lock,
What makes them better than the Vuelta xrp's? They both seem to get good reviews.
G

·
Registered
346 Posts
I had a set of M28'S they were fine set and fitted them with ceramic bearings by that time John offer ceramic upgrade for his wheels and they roll excellent. In addition his customer service is awesome that is why I would pick them over Vuelta but that is just my opinion.

·
banned from the museum
6,622 Posts
I don't like Vueltas, so my vote is for Neuvations. But I like handbuilts better. Find a good local wheelbuilder, give him your budget/desires, and let him do his thing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts