Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought some Neuvation R28 SL3's and upgraded to the ceramic bearings...I noticed play in the front and rear hubs so I re-pressed the bearings...after re-pressing and wiggling...no play

I then went on a ride, checked the hubs after getting home, and the play is back...what gives?

Is it common for this wheelset to have a small amount of play in the hubs or should I keep searching for a solution to fix the problem? Thanks in advance

· I've felt the Felt
42 Posts
Me too.... But I solved mine.

I also had a problem with my cassette having play on my freewheel. The lock ring was very tight so I couldn't really figure it out. I contacted the guiy who runs Nuevation, I believe his name was John. I told him my Aero 3s had the same problem as you. He did make sure that, since I was using a 10s, that I did have the IMPERATIVE 1mm spacer ring installed which keeps everything in place. I assured him that I did have it installed. He, then, immediately sent out a new freewheel with directions to install it. I had no problems since then. So, make sure you have the spacer on if you're using 10s, and make sure your lockring is sufficiently tight. If either of these items is not quite right, gently file the indentations caused by the torquing onto the freewheel to get rid of the rough edges, then reinstall everything correctly. If you have any questions about how to service any of this, check out Park Tools website. They have tutorials on how to complete common bicycle mainenance. If all else fails, shoot off an email to the seemingly black hole warranty link, and your concerns will be answered quickly. The customer service is excellent. I hope this helps and I wish you good luck.

Tom

· I've felt the Felt
42 Posts
I must be retarded...

Your problem is inherantly different. The problem is probably from the nuts on the threaded axle coming loose. I press the inner nuts onto the bearings then back them off 1/16 of a turn. Then, I tighten the outer nuts onto the inner nuts. If that doesn't work, take them in to your shop and see if they can help. Sorry about the confusing prior post.

Tom

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tomacita said:
Your problem is inherantly different. The problem is probably from the nuts on the threaded axle coming loose. I press the inner nuts onto the bearings then back them off 1/16 of a turn. Then, I tighten the outer nuts onto the inner nuts. If that doesn't work, take them in to your shop and see if they can help. Sorry about the confusing prior post.

Tom
Tom...thanks for your reply...I've made this adjustment several times on the rear...made sure everything was snugg...re-pressed the hub bearings (on both the front and rear)...only for the play to return...after speaking with John from Neuvation it seems as through the ceramic bearings are the likely culprit...I'll need to reinstall the stock bearings to confirm this...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.