Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a bad case of undecidedness. I have a budget I would like to hit around $500+- a few buck. I don't mind spending less, and I could spend a bit more, but don't really want to.

Here are my options as I see it:

Neuvation r28sl3. I hadn't really thought too much about these wheels, but there are a lot of folks that seem to like them. Claimed weight of 1530g. They come in under budget so I thought that if I went this route I would have the ceramic bearings installed. Maybe that drops some weight (according to the website it would) and maybe they would spin better. Don't know, I don't have any experience with these wheels, nor do i know anyone who has.

American Classic 350's or 420s. I am not sure why I would pick one of the other, and why the heavier 420 retails for more money. 420s claimed weight is 1460g and the bladed version is 1530g. THe 350 is supposed to weigh 1410g. Bikedoctor has these on sale for $499

Mavic Krysium SL3 which I can get for a bit more, but less than retail. Obviously it is over budget. It has a claimed weight of 1500g. I don't really want to spend the money for the mavic unless it is really that much better of a wheel. Plus, it seems like mavic is overly confident about their weights, meaning I don't think the it will hit the target weight they claim. Let me know if I am wrong.

The other thought was to go with Ligero wheels and have Troy build me a pair. White Ind. H1 hubs laced with Sapim Laser spokes to probably some Niobiums rims (undecided on which ones). Weight would be between 1365 and 1420 depending on the rim choice. I could also upgrade to the CX-Ray spokes for $85 more.

All of these wheels are in my range with the exception of the Mavics, which I am open to doing if I can be talked into it.

I had limited experience with some AC mtb wheels for a few months and had no issues. I guess in the past there were some problems with the rear hubs...

I current am riding on my cross wheelset, DT240's and DTrr1.1 rims and supercomp spokes. They ride great, but want to keep them on my cross bike. I just sold the wheels I was riding on my road bike and need to replace them.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Custom

law said:
I have a bad case of undecidedness. I have a budget I would like to hit around $500+- a few buck. I don't mind spending less, and I could spend a bit more, but don't really want to.

Here are my options as I see it:

Neuvation r28sl3. I hadn't really thought too much about these wheels, but there are a lot of folks that seem to like them. Claimed weight of 1530g. They come in under budget so I thought that if I went this route I would have the ceramic bearings installed. Maybe that drops some weight (according to the website it would) and maybe they would spin better. Don't know, I don't have any experience with these wheels, nor do i know anyone who has.

American Classic 350's or 420s. I am not sure why I would pick one of the other, and why the heavier 420 retails for more money. 420s claimed weight is 1460g and the bladed version is 1530g. THe 350 is supposed to weigh 1410g. Bikedoctor has these on sale for $499

Mavic Krysium SL3 which I can get for a bit more, but less than retail. Obviously it is over budget. It has a claimed weight of 1500g. I don't really want to spend the money for the mavic unless it is really that much better of a wheel. Plus, it seems like mavic is overly confident about their weights, meaning I don't think the it will hit the target weight they claim. Let me know if I am wrong.

The other thought was to go with Ligero wheels and have Troy build me a pair. White Ind. H1 hubs laced with Sapim Laser spokes to probably some Niobiums rims (undecided on which ones). Weight would be between 1365 and 1420 depending on the rim choice. I could also upgrade to the CX-Ray spokes for $85 more.

All of these wheels are in my range with the exception of the Mavics, which I am open to doing if I can be talked into it.

I had limited experience with some AC mtb wheels for a few months and had no issues. I guess in the past there were some problems with the rear hubs...

I current am riding on my cross wheelset, DT240's and DTrr1.1 rims and supercomp spokes. They ride great, but want to keep them on my cross bike. I just sold the wheels I was riding on my road bike and need to replace them.

Thanks in advance!
I'd go with Ligero or Ergott. The price is competitive, the process of working with a builder will be fun and satisfying, and you'll be supporting someone you get to know and who deserves your business.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a version of the Troy Watson-built wheels that have been great. You can read about them here: http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=86580

Also, Troy is rebuilding the wheel (see the link) while only charging me the cost for the rim, which he's giving me a discount on. You won't get that from American Classic (though you might from Neuvation, I suppose, since I hear they have good customer service).

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
law said:
White Ind. H1 hubs laced with Sapim Laser spokes to probably some Niobiums rims (undecided on which ones). Weight would be between 1365 and 1420 depending on the rim choice. I could also upgrade to the CX-Ray spokes for $85 more.
If you can get those customs for $500, then I think it is a no brainer. The WI hubs are very nice and made in the US, fine German spokes, one the best rims made in Tawain, and all put together by a great american wheelbuilder. I'm not certain of this, but I think AC is entirely made in Tawain these days, and I know Neuvations are. Not that things made in Tawain are bad at all, but I'd rather have a quality US product if the price is the same. Plus, a good builder is really important if you want them to last.

You don't say what you will use them for, but if these will be your "go fast" wheels, I'd opt for the deeper rim and also the CX-Rays. If you aren't racing though, the shallow rim and the Lasers would be fine.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
footballcat said:
you could just go Bontrager race x lites, under 1500 grams they are durable and good race rims

can be had on ebay for 300 bux
True....but I have done those wheels in the past. Bad luck with rims staying true. Actually they were just race lites.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
law said:
Estimate came with Laser spokes. Are the CX-rays worth it the extra $$?
They are a little faster... and Sapim claims they will last longer too... so just depends on what your priorities are. They have a rep of being the top spoke in the world. I think they are worth it if you are racing, and there is a little more bling too, but the Laser is a fine spoke.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
rruff said:
The WI hubs are very nice and made in the US
What's so great about WI? They seem to be the rage here latley. I hear the hubs are always chainging for durability reasons and what not.

They look ok, but nothing special...

·
Registered
838 Posts
DIRT BOY said:
What's so great about WI? They seem to be ther rage here latley. I hear the hubs are always chainging for durability reasons and what not.

I know the mark-up on these is nice though....

They look ok, but nothing special...
Where did you hear that? WI LTA hubs came out around 6 years ago and did not change anything during it's run. The new H1 hub is the same freehub body and bearings as the LTA but they reduced the wall thickness of the steel axle on the rear and made the non drive side flange a few mm's smaller.

As far as the mark up goes it is not as much as the tiawan made hubs that you have been using in your wheels that you sell.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Ligero said:
Where did you hear that? WI LTA hubs came out around 6 years ago and did not change anything during it's run. The new H1 hub is the same freehub body and bearings as the LTA but they reduced the wall thickness of the steel axle on the rear and made the non drive side flange a few mm's smaller.
Various sources. Again, I personally don't know much about them. Just they made Eno MTB hubs for SS bikes.

As far as the mark up goes it is not as much as the tiawan made hubs that you have been using in your wheels that you sell.
From others builders and people I know, a few mentioned that they were nothing special but were cheap to build with. That goes with many hubs built in Taiwan. Whether it's the ones I use or many other builders themselves use under various name. I just said that as these all of the sudden to me, have been the rage, but there nothing special from what I have heard around.

But you never answered the question. You just seem what looked like a personal shot at me.

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
White Industries hubs pluses

1) High quality bearings
2) Easy to service (no special tools)
3) Titanium freehub body (especially beneficial for Shimano users, won't gall)
4) low weight
5) company easy to contact
6) company backs their product
7) one of the best flange geometries out there
8) excellent finish quality
9) available in most spoke counts
10) so restrictions on the spoke lacing

You need more than that?

I'd much rather build wheels with name brand parts. There are no cheap knockoffs of these hubs floating around. They are the real deal. The consistency of the weights and quality are excellent.

-Eric

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I am going with Tune 190 hubs, niobium 19mm rims and laser spokes. I spoke with Troy on the phone and that pushed me over the edge. Ergott was really quick with getting back to me though, so I feel bad about not going with him. On the otherhand I had bugged Ligero at least a couple of times before and but then had decided to Mike Curiak of lacemine29.com build me wheels instead. Ligero was due.

He is giving me what I think is a great deal as well. I can't wait! Thanks to everyone that posted with advice. I am guessing the weight will be in the 1350-1400 range somewhere. That is spectacular in my mind for the money.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Great! That's good info.
So nothing has been changed internally due to issues? I have heard this from a few sources. Myabe I was told wrong.

I know DT had issues for a while with the Hugi 240 MTB hubs, but has since been corrected and those are some very nice hubs. My MTB 240S have been abused and still a smooth as day one.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
law said:
I am going with Tune 190 hubs, niobium 19mm rims and laser spokes.
Tune hubs are sooo nice looking! One of my favorite hubs out there! Good choice of rims as well. You will have a great set I am sure!
I love their color choices as well and are some of the best light weight hubs out there.

·
T.R., conservationist
235 Posts
Great choice, law, I'm sure you'll be very satisfied. My Ligero Niobium 30mm rims, Pillar spokes, and WI hubs make for an incredible set of wheels. No comparison in ride at all to my Race Lites and Race X Lites. Very smooth. And, when the pack decides to do a dogpile on top of your bike like happened to me last fall, Troy fixes them for cost of parts. Never thought I would need it but in hind-sight that turned out to be most valuable. I highly recommend Troy.

And thanks for the WI pluses Ergott!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
jerman said:
Great choice, law, I'm sure you'll be very satisfied. My Ligero Niobium 30mm rims, Pillar spokes, and WI hubs make for an incredible set of wheels. No comparison in ride at all to my Race Lites and Race X Lites. Very smooth. And, when the pack decides to do a dogpile on top of your bike like happened to me last fall, Troy fixes them for cost of parts. Never thought I would need it but in hind-sight that turned out to be most valuable. I highly recommend Troy.

And thanks for the WI pluses Ergott!

AND he got me for a second wheelset for my mtb. Again Tune hubs a Kong rear and a Princess front....luckily my wife is very understanding and luckily Chris King wheels have great resale value on Ebay.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts