Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was wondering if anybody has first hand experience with the new R28SL wheels. Specifically weight, stiffness and reliability. I am purchasing a trek 5200 with Race Lite wheels and am considering selling these and purchasing the neuvations. All of the info on their website is encouraging, however some of the reviews I have read seem like they were written by a company spokesperson. Thanks. Should also add, I weigh 155 and ride on fairly smooth roads.

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
rangerjas said:
I was wondering if anybody has first hand experience with the new R28SL wheels. Specifically weight, stiffness and reliability. I am purchasing a trek 5200 with Race Lite wheels and am considering selling these and purchasing the neuvations. All of the info on their website is encouraging, however some of the reviews I have read seem like they were written by a company spokesperson. Thanks. Should also add, I weigh 155 and ride on fairly smooth roads.
Can't say anything about the new R28SLs, but I have about 2500 miles on my M28 Aeros. I weigh 180, I ride on lousy roads, and I'm happy with the wheels. When I first got them, the spokes weren't as tight as they could be, so I had my LBS increase the tension. Since then, they've stayed quite true and round despite a fair bit of hard riding on sub-standard roads and bunny hopping over debris and potholes.

I did have one spoke break (at the elbow) last week, but that's the first trouble I've had with them. THe R28s are probably not as robust as the M28s, but you weight a whole lot less than I do and it sounds like you don't abuse your rides the way I abuse mine.

·
not feeling creative
142 Posts
You can't go wrong with neuvations

I have owned 3 sets of the m28 aeros on different bikes and have several friends who have bought them based on my experience. All of them are extremely happy with them and would buy them again. My latest set has over 2000 miles and I have yet to have to true them. I am sure that the R28 is not as durable but at 1400 grams you would sort of expect that. Another plus from what I have read is that if you have a problem, you can email the owner and he will take care of you quickly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Picked up my R28SL a month ago. I weigh 220 lbs and after 400 miles they are as true as when I got them. I've gone out of my way to hit as much rough stuff as possible. Since you are so much lighter than me you'll have no such worries. The wheels look great and climb really well. There only 1470 grams. In my estimation they are probably one of the best bargains out there. The wheels are stiff yet very comfortable. Don't hesitate to buy

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've put about 1200 miles on the R28Sl's without a hitch. I recommend them whole-heartedly. I weigh about 190, BTW.

jj1075

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Something to consider... when people review wheels favorably but have less than 10,000 miles (sometimes a lot less), that isn't really saying much about their durability. If you think that having wheels last for 2,000 miles is good, then it's fine... I guess. I've had wheels that were fine for 5,000 miles, and then the spokes started popping with great regularity. Another set lasted 3,000 miles, and then the eyelets started cracking.

I'd go for some nice custom wheels if I was you....

·
Registered
339 Posts
I decided to go with the R28 SL's simply because of their good value, I haven't heard anything all that bad about them, sure there has been a few bad experiences but nothing that sounded horrendous so at $399 for a set shipped I think they are hard to beat.

I considered going custom but that was likely going to cost more and for a recreational rider (and hopefully recreational racer soon) I thought going custom was a bit of overkill, I just wanted something lighter and with deeper rims than my stock wheels so it seemed petty to bother a custom wheelbuilder with such a request.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the Weyless labeled version of the Aeros.
They are the quietest geared hubs I have ever owned.
Great wheels for the price and nice looking too.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
the neuvations are a great deal. hard to get that weight for that price. but if you want an alternative buy a wheelset that has record or dura ace hubs, usually under $250 and have them rebuilt with lighter spokes. i've done this twice. weight is no where near the neuvations. one set set came out to $ 280 and another at $ 320, as close to custom as i'm going to get.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts