Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Apa kabar?
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just a couple of questions i wanted to throw out there and see if i could get some advice.
1. Which would be a better wheel to go with, Neuvation R28 Aero vs R28 SL for a person who is getting into racing. (done two races, plan on doing another 5-10 this season) I plan on doing crit racing, time trials, and road races. I have a 30k TT and an 84 mile RR coming up in mid-may, and was wanting some advice on the matter. Might help to note that i'm 200 lbs.
2. What type of difference would this play out to be (i'm not asking for exact, but would it be noticable) over an 84 mile race (1 small hill, the rest fairly flat). How about in a crit or a TT? It may help to note that I currently have the stock wheels that come on an 05 Specialized Allez Triple (entry level bike).

I don't have the money for a new bike, but i've heard that lightening up the rotational weight is the way to go. These wheels would be for racing on, with my current wheels being for training. Also, any advice on tires? thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Checkout oddsnadendos.com......

and talk to Mike Garcia. I have had three sets of wheels build by him, two road and one MTB. I have found out that he can build a wheel set at a very reasonable price and much lighter then most production wheels.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
neuvations are hardly typical "production wheels."

You spelled "oddsandendos.com" wrong. Mike has had to raise his prices of late.

For 200 lbs, the main answer is "something tough." You say you plan on doing what amounts to Every Type of Race Under the Sun. A fairly high spoke-count, mid-profile wheel can be pretty aero and plenty strong -- perhaps a Garcia-built aerohead/deep V 23/32 spoke set?

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
B-Fun said:
I don't have the money for a new bike, but i've heard that lightening up the rotational weight is the way to go. These wheels would be for racing on, with my current wheels being for training. Also, any advice on tires? thanks a bunch!
If you do a search on this forum and weightweenies (and others) for "rotational weight" you can be busy reading for a few hours. In brief, it's importance ranges from trivial to none. Especially at your size, light weight rims are not appropriate.

Aerodynamics is somewhat less trivial, with the added bonus of aero rims also being stronger (usually)... though they are also heavier.

Neuvation wheels have a pretty good rep with good customer support. Low-spoke-count wheels are not really optimal though... ie they will fatigue faster (break spokes) sooner than a wheel that is otherwise similar but with more spokes. This is true even (even especially!) if those additional spokes are butted and thin. Unfortunately the fashion these days is for fewer spokes...

Hand built by a good builder is the best way to go. You could buy a very fast but boringly durable set of wheels with deep aero rims and aero spokes like WS AE15s (28/32 or 32/36), and say Ultegra hubs for ~$300... just as an example. Ligero and Ergott are builders who frequent this forum, so you could ask them what they think.

About the tires... I think Michelin Pro2s have the best combination of low rolling resistance and puncture resistance. Vittoria Corsas are also good.

·
Apa kabar?
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks

thanks for the info...i'll be looking into it. i hadn't thought about talking to a builder, so thanks for the insight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts