Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Ten Dollar Jockey
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have had my older bike on the trainer. Took it off the other day, because I didn't want to get my new one rained on. Taking it off and on the trainer had loosened the rear spindle, but I never knew to check it.

I was standing up coming out of my driveway, and the next thing I knew, I had face planted. Happened so fast that I never even sensed the fall until I hit. Cut my chin nicely, and I tore up two front teeth.

Chin got glued, teeth bonded, but one of them is a "watch and see for sixty days, and you may need a root canal and cap if the nerve dies."

Rode my regular bike today. It's never been on a trainer, but I checked the spindles anyway. Ride was great. Temp took it out of me (triple digits and humid), and I was puckered up when standing in the clips.

Wish someone had told me to check the spindles....that's why I am posting this.

I was probably only moving at 4 - 6 mph when it threw me off. I do feel fortunate - Bb:eek: etter in the driveway than moving down the street.

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
I've had my rear skewer pull out of the dropout a little bit when mashing the snot out of the bike uphill. Chain skipped a couple gears and I was able to unclip before anything nasty happened.

Pre-ride checklist:
Check tire pressure, ensure brake QRs are closed, check skewer QRs, helmet, cell phone, tube and tools, GO!

·
Registered
21,541 Posts
Skewer?

mafpolo said:
Have had my older bike on the trainer. Took it off the other day, because I didn't want to get my new one rained on. Taking it off and on the trainer had loosened the rear spindle, but I never knew to check it.
A bit confused here. Assuming we are talking about the quick release skewer, didn't you have to clamp it shut when you removed the bike from the trainer? When you do that, you should feel the pressure of the skewer lever on your hand and therefore know that it was tight. Please explain how this did not happen for you. If you didn't have to open the QR skewer to remove the bike from the trainer, how could taking the bike on and off the trainer have caused the skewer to loosen?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
a mate of mine 'forgot' to close the lever of a rear QR once, wheel came out and jammed in the frame right as a b-double big rig was coming for him...

·
Registered
872 Posts
I'm going to make a couple of assumptions, so this may or may not be relevant:
1) By "spindle" I assume that you're talking about the skewer.
2) I assume that you have a trainer that clamps the rear wheel by the skewer - i.e. you put the bike on the trainer and tighten a clamp of some sort on the skewer.

I have the same type of trainer, and yes, over time the skewer does loosen - mine has a clamp that is tightened by a screw, so you are torquing the skewer every time that you tighten or loosen the clamp. As you found out, you must at least check the skewer every time you remove the bike from the trainer. I end up tightening mine - it is always at least a little loose after being on the trainer.

-------------------------------------

·
Ten Dollar Jockey
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry, was definitely talking about the skewer

I have the same. I just never thought to check the skewer when bringing the bike off of the trainer.

I put the rear wheel and chain back on on Saturday morning. I test rode it around the block(try not to laugh) with my motorcycle helmet on. Yesterday, took my new bike and rode. I have to say, I was very comfortable except when standing in the pedals, as I was standing when I went off of the bike.

Other than way too hot to ride, it was fun.

p.s When I looked at the helmet from last Thursday, it had two nice cracks in the Styrofoam. Had bought a new one Saturday.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts