Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I put this in the wrong place.

I bought a 09 Felt Z35. I want to upgrade the crank and cassette. On the crank
I am going from a Shimano 600 172.5mm to a Ultegra 6750 170mm. How do I determine what bottom bracket I need. Is it all based on the bike bottom bracket width 68 or 70? I also want to move to a 11-28 cassette, do I need a longer rear derailleur?
Thanks

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HIMEHEEM,
thanks for the reply, currently it has a Shimano 105 SS Short Cage. If I can use that I woul like to. I am guessing I need a bottom bracket. The bottom bracket is a Shimano Hollowtech-II
thanks

· Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
09Z35 said:
I think I put this in the wrong place.

I bought a 09 Felt Z35. I want to upgrade the crank and cassette. On the crank
I am going from a Shimano 600 172.5mm to a Ultegra 6750 170mm. How do I determine what bottom bracket I need. Is it all based on the bike bottom bracket width 68 or 70? I also want to move to a 11-28 cassette, do I need a longer rear derailleur?
Thanks
Your current crankset is the non-series equivalent to Shimano's 105 crankset. They're HollowTech ll, so you can use your BB with the Ultegra crankset, but if you decide to go with Ultegra, it's the SM-BB6700 - most likely english (68mm), but another member or your LBS can verify that.

The RD-5600SS on your bike has a total teeth capacity of 31, with the largest recommended cog being a 27. If you stay with a 50/34 compact crank and go to an 11-28 cassette, you'll be up to 33 total teeth. You could try it, but if it didn't work and you wanted to stay with a short cage RD, the RD-5700SS allows for a 28T max and 33 teeth total.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.