Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
I thought Mr. Cancellara finally gave-in and started riding a new Madone:

Regardless, I don't see anything different about the Domane pictured in the first pick... is it just "2017" because it's new?

·
Registered
706 Posts
look closer... under the stem and the seat tube, brakes are direct mount too
Ah-so... thanks for pointing that out. I had to open the image in a new window so it was larger to see what is different (https://i.imgur.com/OTyAWPO.jpg). However, I'm not exactly sure of what I'm seeing... perhaps a new type of suspension beyond the normal Domane IsoSpeed decoupler? Hmm...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Cancellara's new ride:

Trek's Spring Trek Fest sale has many of the Domane models at sale prices we haven't seen in previous years - further suggesting that a design refresh is coming. Given that the sale ends on April 11th and Paris Roubaix is on April 10th, I'm guessing we will see the new models introduced early April. If not, then we will see them at Trek's annual dealer conference in July/August.

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah-so... thanks for pointing that out. I had to open the image in a new window so it was larger to see what is different (https://i.imgur.com/OTyAWPO.jpg). However, I'm not exactly sure of what I'm seeing... perhaps a new type of suspension beyond the normal Domane IsoSpeed decoupler? Hmm...
Resolution is fine I original picture if you took the time and detail to look it over instead of quickly looking at it and responding.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Resolution is fine I original picture if you took the time and detail to look it over instead of quickly looking at it and responding.
You probably have a low resolution monitor so the photo looks big to you. The picture is very small on my screen because this forum has a fixed width and I have a high resolution monitor.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Well, the shift cables enter the down tube instead of the side of the head tube. Big improvement right there. There is definitely something very different about the seat tube, possibly taking some tech from the Madone tube in tube design.

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You probably have a low resolution monitor so the photo looks big to you. The picture is very small on my screen because this forum has a fixed width and I have a high resolution monitor.
You probably need to go make an appointment with your optometrist. The picture is plenty clear on my dual screen setup where I am running 2560x1440 and 1080x1920. Very easy to spot the differences with Cancellara's new ride and the current Domane.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
New Trek Domane breaks cover at Strade Bianche | road.cc

Looks like the seat tube has an aerodynamic fairing in the front of it. Kind of sort of same idea as the Madone but totally exposed in the back. Neat.

Is that an elastomer bumper under the stem and bearing cap? Maybe a cutout like the old venge with different sized elastomer bumpers you can put in to dampen vibration.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Well, the shift cables enter the down tube instead of the side of the head tube. Big improvement right there.
Why do you see that as better? More chance for cable rub if you ask me.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I wonder if the head tube is "adjustable"? As in, different top parts to adjust height between h1/h2/endurance fits. Crazy idea, but maybe?

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice picture and you can definitely get a better view of the seat tube. Definitely look forward to when Trek tells us more about the frame and the new design features of it.

Regarding the top of the head tube, definitely looks like it could be something like a elastomer spacer of some sort. Nice idea, especially if it works to absorb some of the high frequency vibrations and still maintain a stiff front end for steering.

·
Registered
647 Posts
More pics from GCN.
https://www.facebook.com/globalcyclingnetwork/?fref=ts

Isospeed name on the head tube area. There appears to be a cover thathe hides a possible joint/connection that may allow the fork steer tube to flex inline with the frame, but maintain lateral stability.

Based on the better pic of the seat tube, it looks like the spring rate is tunable via position of the little rubber or plastic spacer. There is a white mark on it and several along the length of the seat tube. Might be based on desire for flex, rider weight and/or Saddle height.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts