Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of older Easton wheels(Zipp 404 rims laced to Velomax hubs) and the rear hub is toast. Need to get a replacement.

Any recommendations on a moderately priced rear hub that comes in 24h?

· Registered
232 Posts
Don't the Velomax hubs have the spokes threaded into them?

Using standard J-bend spokes, the Ultegra hub is available in 24 hole for about $100

· Registered
165 Posts
If you want to go with a traditional j-bend hub there's plenty out there, especially if you go with a 32 hole hub. I've got a 32 hole hub and 24 spoke rim/wheel. It's built with twice the number of drive side spokes as the non-drive side. This is similar to Campy's wheels. I've also still got a cross pattern on the drive side with this setup rather than trying to even tension on both sides with radial on drive side and equal number of spokes on each side. Make sure your builder is comfortable with this type of build before you pull the trigger on the hub.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any thoughts on the Ritchey WCS road rear hub? There's one at my lbs selling for around $100. 225g

I have also been looking at the American Classic RD205S for about $210.00. 205g

Thoughts?

· monkey with flamethrower
821 Posts
American Classic hubs are pretty much garbage and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. American Classic hubs possibly get the award for most poorly designed freehub body on the market as well as having poor customer service and bearings that need to be replaced after a few weeks. The flanges on the American Classic hubs are ridiculously narrow and build a very flexy wheel as well. Some of the bearing and freehub issues supposedly have been worked out on the newer hubs, but they still are not in the same league as most name brand hubs. American Classic hubs are cheap and light, but not strong becuase you can't have all three.

The Ritchey is just an Alex hub, not bad but not that great. Shimano Dura-Ace hubs are impossible to beat for bang for your buck performance though they can be hard to track down in a 24 hole drilling. White Industries are also superb hubs readily available in all drillings and not ridiculously expensive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.