Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Thursday, I took the plunge and bought my first roadbike..........a new Madone 5.2. I have been riding mountain bikes for the past 5 years (Stumpy FSR). I really like the bike and have been riding as much as possible given work, kids, etc.

Anyway, I have some questions regarding the 90mm bottom bracket: Will this become the new standard for roadbikes or will this only appear on Treks? What are the advantages/disadvantages to this type of bb?

Thanks in advance.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply 08Madone

I'm still wondering if the 90mm BB will be mainstream, ie., do any of the other major manufacturers (Specialized, Giant, Cervelo etc.) use it or are they planning on using it?

One of the reasons I bought this bike was because of the bb and the fact that all of the crank parts are internal. Also, love the rear brake cable routed inside the frame. The lightness of the bike and the components made it an easy choice over others in its class.

· Registered
503 Posts
Who knows, every mfr has their own way to make their bikes as stiff as they believe is best, and as efficient as comfortable as they believe their customers will like. All I know is that my 5.2 is comfortable to me even after a century. Its also very responsive to my inputs and when i really get on it, it responds to my efforts instantly. As I keep saying, I love it every time I'm out on it. Hope you feel the same way about yours.

· Registered
2,817 Posts
+1 to the responsiveness. My view is probably a bit biased since I am coming off a not-so-stiff steel bike, but the 5.2 turns on a dime and puts the power down so well. The difference between the two bikes really widens when going up hill. The Madone continues to glide smoothly where as my steel bike got into a push-pause-push rythm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.