Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to put my recently acquired 1980 Schwinn Le Tour back together and take her out on the road. I'm concerned about one thing though. When I took the wheels off to make sure they were true, I had my friend hold the centers of the wheels and I gave each a spin. He said he felt a vibration that was kind of "grindy" when the wheel was spinning. We were thinking maybe the wheel needs new bearings or something. I have no idea what to do, but I'm about to drop some money on new tires/chain/cables and whatnot and I'd prefer to save on shipping and get whatever I need now.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
103 Posts
To properly service the hubs it's very very helpful to have cone wrenches which you can get at most bike shops. It's not that difficult to replace bearings (they are pretty cheap as parts go) and repack the hub. Have a look here for a good how to:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/hubs.html
One other tool to consider would be a freewheel removal tool whch can make cleaning/repacking the rear hub easier. They generally run in the $7-$10 range. I suspect your wheel will have a shimano or suntour freewheel. If its a suntour look and see if there are 2 or 4 notches, you will beable to see them on the face of the freewheel inside of the smallest cog.

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
Seriously, on an old cheap pile of iron like yours, the FIRST thing you need to do is pull the bearings. Chances are that the bearings haven't been serviced since new, and the races (and bearings as well) are completely shot, making the hubs trash.

BTW, why on earth would you remove a wheel to see if it's true? You can spin it on the bike and accomplish the same thing.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Hijacking...Or diverging..

Amazing, but I have some Suntour Supurbe Pro hubs about 5 on various wheels) from the 80s that I still ride today, and I have never ever serviced them..no need for it that I can feel or see. I actually still use one front hub laced to a tubular rim for my pit wheel at races and for a spare on bicycle trips.. The front hub on my SO's Ridley is her original 80s race bike rim..un-touched and riden a few thousand miles a year since then...Good stuff..to understate it some...
Don Hanson

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've never ridden a bike for anything other than the sheer pleasure of it, so I wasn't aware. Thanks for weighing in, though. I'll get around to the bearings when my next paycheck comes in.

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
Before you spend big money, get some cone wrenches and take a look at the bearings. Just because the bike was made in 1980 doesn't mean the races and balls are shot. Perhaps the grease dried out and hardened into a putty-like mess, so a thorough cleaning, repacking with grease and adjusting will fix the problem. Any kind of grease will do, like cheap wheel-bearing grease from AutoZone. FWIW, I see bikes from the 80s all the time with perhaps 500 - 1,000 miles max on them

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
utradar said:
I've never ridden a bike for anything other than the sheer pleasure of it, so I wasn't aware. Thanks for weighing in, though. I'll get around to the bearings when my next paycheck comes in.
Geez....$5 for a bag of bearings, $5 for a tube of grease, $5 for a cheap set of cone wrenches all to fix a $20 junk bike? Just how poor are you?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm a working student who's just getting into cycling and as such I don't have a lot of cash to throw around. Thanks for weighing in, guys. As for Dave...

I like to think my bike is pretty sweet, considering. I dig vintage stuff, and I happen to enjoy fixing up old things. Cycling is just a fun new hobby for me, so I don't need the latest and greatest carbon super duper stuff. Now you seem like the type of guy who's just full of useful information, but if you're going to have an attitude about it, I'm sure there are thousands of other threads on this site where they tolerate that kind of thing, but I don't. I encourage you to take your golden knowledge there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.