131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't want to spend a fortune. So, looking at:

The Black Bibs Ultimates
Red White The Bib
Rapha Core
PI Expedition

Thoughts?

Background: I have some very old (but still hanging in there and comfortable) cheaper PI shorts (non-bib), some Castelli Free Aero which are awesome, and some Assos bibs I got from their outlet which are just okay.

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
Don't want to spend a fortune. So, looking at:

The Black Bibs Ultimates
Red White The Bib
Rapha Core
PI Expedition

Thoughts?

Background: I have some very old (but still hanging in there and comfortable) cheaper PI shorts (non-bib), some Castelli Free Aero which are awesome, and some Assos bibs I got from their outlet which are just okay.
I've not tried any of those, so I can't comment on that, but one way to save money is to have a cheaper pair of bibs that are fine for shorter rides and then a nicer pair for longer rides. You don't need $200+ bibs for 25 mile rides so why wear them out. My personal favorite long distance bibs are the Sportful Total Comfort. For shorter rides I find the Bellwether line to be a good value

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
I've not tried any of those, so I can't comment on that, but one way to save money is to have a cheaper pair of bibs that are fine for shorter rides and then a nicer pair for longer rides. You don't need $200+ bibs for 25 mile rides so why wear them out. My personal favorite long distance bibs are the Sportful Total Comfort. For shorter rides I find the Bellwether line to be a good value
Well said. That’s what I do. I have 2 classes of bibs. The workhorse class and the trainer class. Trainer bibs get out on the road plenty for shorter rides, hill repeats and the like. I don’t think twice about throwing them in the laundry.

My newest trainer class bib Buy is Soukie Cycling. Check them out, they are an RBR sponsor. I bought a $40 bib and I am surprised by the comfort and design.

·
Souke Sports - Where Cycling Gear Meets Fashion
389 Posts
Hi @lightning33 , you can try out our BS1606 bib shorts, though it is kinda cheap, but quality is not cheap. :D We get many many positive feedback for this item. However, if you are looking for more comfort and performance bib shorts, I also recommend our BS1601, it has become our best seller bib now. The price is also within 100USD. :D

Also, thank you for the kind recommendation for our products @PBL450

Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Photograph Bicycle frame Bicycle clothing
Joint Stomach Neck Knee Flash photography

Attachments

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Performance still makes bib shorts? Ah, I checked yes they do. Cheapest are the Performance Ultra $59.99. The Elites are $69.99. Back in the day they were quality bibs for the price. I always waited until they went on sale.
As did I. Picked them up at the physical store. Those were the days.

The Black Bibs are my go to these days. Similar quality and price to the old Performance. And being local to me, I can still pick them up at the “store.”

·
Registered
43 Posts
From your list I have tried the PI and the Rapha Core.
The Rapha product is stellar. The only thing I have found that PI does well are socks.
I have a Rapha classic flyweight jersey and have been looking at their bibs. I live in Florida so need something for hot and humid. I obviously like the price of the core bibs way more than the classic (or the pro) but worry that they are not offered in flyweight (unlike the jerseys which is weird) so will be hotter but on the other side the classic flyweight has some reviews saying the suspenders fall apart. Really not trying to spend pro money. You've been happy though, comfortable in the right places?

·
Registered
880 Posts
I have a Rapha classic flyweight jersey and have been looking at their bibs. I live in Florida so need something for hot and humid. I obviously like the price of the core bibs way more than the classic (or the pro) but worry that they are not offered in flyweight (unlike the jerseys which is weird) so will be hotter but on the other side the classic flyweight has some reviews saying the suspenders fall apart. Really not trying to spend pro money. You've been happy though, comfortable in the right places?
I found the Core bibs more comfortable than the Pro lineup. The fit is better for me and the material has more give. I don't think about the Core chamois at all, which means it must be working perfectly.
I had a pair of Rapha lightweight bibs, they were great but definitely did not last as long as the other types.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I'm surprised you mentioned Rapha if not spending a fortune is part of your criteria.

I've been a devoted Assos bib fan for many years, but recently discovered an Aussie company called Pedal Mafia. I found them through buying a "Moots Owners" kit (and via DC Rainmaker).

I was immediately enamored with them and have since purchased several pairs and it's all I wear any more. They have three grades of chamoi (Red, Blue and Black) and several different 'fits'. They are often on sale, and even when not are almost certainly cheaper than Rapha.

·
your god hates me
1,588 Posts
You can purchase NOS Performance Elite Bib Shorts on eBay.
fwiw, here's my take on Performance brand shorts and bibs, based on buying/wearing them extensively for the past ~16 years:

For the first season or two you will swear they're the best value in cycling apparel. Good fit, comfortable, stylish, and relatively affordable... What more could someone ask for in a bib short?

Answer: Longevity. Because by the third season, the fabric has either worn through to near-transparency, or (more commonly) stretched out such that they offer zero support. I own several pairs of Performance bibs and shorts that appear to be in excellent shape but are simply unwearable because they now fit as if they were two sizes too big, with all the havoc that wreaks on your netherbits.

It can still be a valid economic strategy: Buy cheap, but often. But I've finally, after all those years, moved on, and won't buy any more Performance shorts.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts