Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
ten cents gets you nuts
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a perv thread--my father's in the market (finally) for a replacement bike for my sister. I looked online with the five minutes I have here and there and found the four bigs--Trek, Specialized, GF, and Raleigh.

All look like Jr. G Man freeride rigs. Does anyone make a hybrid-style bike for kids or will I have to hunt down 24" slicks?

No exotic sleds, either. $300-$350 is the ceiling.

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
675 Posts
Powder Hound said:
Not a perv thread--my father's in the market (finally) for a replacement bike for my sister. I looked online with the five minutes I have here and there and found the four bigs--Trek, Specialized, GF, and Raleigh.

All look like Jr. G Man freeride rigs. Does anyone make a hybrid-style bike for kids or will I have to hunt down 24" slicks?

No exotic sleds, either. $300-$350 is the ceiling.

Thanks,
Dan
Unless she's really short for a 10yo, she'll definitely fit a small-framed adult bike, likely a ~13-16.5" (usually extra small and small respectively for most brands of MTBs and hybrids). Whenever I sold bikes to kids, I would tend to go as big as possible without it being unsafe or unrideable for the kid. For most kids it would work great, especially since most modern entry-level MTBs have generous stand-over and an upright handlebar position. A lot of kids also like getting on a bigger bike that actually fits (as opposed to their long-ago outgrown 16" Huffy) and having hand brakes and a full range of gears. I'd say most likely a small frame would give the best balance of fit and riding time; $300-350 is more than enough for a decent ride in any of those brands. Any good LBS should be able to get her the right size.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts