Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Thursday, April 30, 2009 at 3 pm the City of Cupertino will have a dedication ceremony to open the new Bicycle Footbridge over HWY 280. The ceremony will be held at the intersection of Mary Avenue and Meteor. After the ceremony the bridge will be open for use. The bridge and trail starts there and end at Homestead Road.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It starts at Homestead Rd. by the High School at Mary Ave. and goes to Mary Ave. and Meteor. This section of Mary Ave. ends at DeAnza College. It is located about 1/2 way between Stelling Rd. and Foothill Blvd. on Homestead Rd.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Tis the season for bike bridges, eh? But I bet lots of noncyclists will complain about the $15M price. Cyclists too, apparently.

From SJ Murky News:

"The cost was high. At $15 million, it's believed to be the most expensive span of its type in the South Bay. Sunnyvale opened two pedestrian bridges along Borregas Avenue over highways 101 and 237 last week for about the same price for both.

The cost irks some people, like Ray Hosler of Santa Clara. He "snapped a chain" when he saw the $15 million bill. "And I'm a daily bicycle commuter," he said. "I have puzzled over this bridge to nowhere for a long time. You see, only four-tenths of a mile away there's Stelling Road crossing I-280, with a bike lane, no less. Traffic is light to moderate.

"As cyclists we need to pick our battles. We don't get much pork-barrel money thrown our way."

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Hey, cool - this actually can work for me as a route home from Mountain View to West San Jose...

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
wipeout said:
Hey, cool - this actually can work for me as a route home from Mountain View to West San Jose...
Well, I tried the bridge last night on the commute home. I had forgotten how much Mary sucks for bicycles and Stevens Creek isn't much better. Nice bridge though!

·
3,494 Posts
I rode over this bridge yesterday on my way out to Montebello Road. It is very cool, I like the architecture and the approach paths. There was someone out there shooting video of cyclists using the bridge. It doesn't really make my route any shorter, but it is quite a lot nicer. It must also be nice for the local community since that area was cleaved in two when the freeway was put in. Presumably Mary Ave used to go straight through there since the road has that name either side. I see the same effect on the Borregas bridges where there are lots of random people and school kids using the bridges to get between various neighbourhood islands.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts