Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please offer your opinion. I am looking to purchase a new full carbon, full sram red bike. The number of vendors is overwhelming. The questions really, is bang for the buck. I don't race and don't really need a $7-10K bike. It seems that many bikes with these criteria fall into the $4-6K range. I don't mind spending the money but don't want to buy more bike than I need. I ride about 100-150 miles/week. Any advice about brands and models is appreciated. Thanks

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
Look like you're still doing your research. riding 100-150 miles a week is pretty good. I'd go with something like Sram Rival (cheaper and ligher) or Shimano Ultegra (smooth but heavier) Try to stick with a complete groupset down the list. Also pick a bike with decent wheels to start with (probably none will), If that doesn't happen, save about $600 to upgrade the wheels right out of the box and you'll be 100% set with a fast bike with Rival or ultegra groupset.

Carbon frames are also very comfortable and absorb road vibrations much better than aluminum/ti. So look into those.

I had a budget of $2400 and i picked up a 2010 LOOK 566 Rival. I recently upgraded the wheels to Sram S30'd for $600. my bike is pretty much complete now. And i'm happy with the $3k i spent.

If you can do $3k, how about a Scott CR1, Cannondale Synapse Carbon 3, Look 566 Ultegra, or a Felt (dont know model with rivals or ultegras)

·
Registered
337 Posts
Any bike over $3000 is more than any of us need. Those of us that buy pricey bikes do it because we like them, not because they give us big performance gains.

If you're Mid-Range Frames from Specialized, Cannondale, Cervelo, Look, Scott, and Felt are all going to have pretty much the same ride quality. SRAM Rival or Ultegra is likely the component group you'll end up with, and while the wheels that come stock on bikes aren't really race worthy, they're perfect for regular rides. I train on Fulcrum Racing 7s most of the time. The Zipps only come out for road races.

Don't be too quick to discard the idea of an aluminum frame either, especially the Cannondale CAAD 9. Some of them ride extremely well and can save you a lot of money. I'd say budget $3,000 for the bike, and spend the rest of your money on getting some good riding gear.

·
Witty custom user title
552 Posts
You'd be hard pressed to find a much better deal right now than the BMC SL01 and the Ridley Compact on Competitive Cyclist. Both are in the neighborhood of $1500 and come with full SRAM Rival, Easton components/wheels, etc. I've talked 3 friends/new riders into the BMC, and it is an amazing bike...especially for the price.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.