Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody use a cyclocross bike as a full time road bike? I've been looking at a Redline Conquest. I'm 6'4" and weigh in around 230. I thought the Conquest might hold up a little bit better. I've have been riding mountain bikes for around ten years but in the last two years have probably only been to the trails twice. I've put slicks on my mtb and taken it on the road. Any ideas for a larger guy buying his first road bike? A lot of bikes I like that are in my price range have carbon forks and that makes me a little nervous. Thnx.

· Registered
9,274 Posts
I have a bike with a 1" steer tube, and it is carbon fiber. I am 6'7" and heavier than you by a good margin. This bike has almost 7000 miles on it. I wouldn't recommend doing what I'm doing, but don't be scared by a CF fork. I think a cyclocross bike is an excellent way to go. I wish I had done it. Just change the tires, and you should be good to go. You may want to go with more of a road fit though, as I think most cyclocross riders want more standover height than normal road geometry would allow. The cyclocross bike should have beefy wheels, which is really what you need.

By the way, I would try 28mm wide tires if I were you. The cyclocross frame should be able to handle those with no problem.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.