Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm a long-time MTBer looking at getting an 'all-rounder' road bike. I've pretty much decided on a 'cross bike based on my needs. I'll be doing a short commute of ~7/8 miles per day (currently on old MTB with slicks), looking to do some longer road rides when time/weather don't allow MTB trips, and some dirt/back road exploring, and I've toyed with the idea of racing cross in the fall :eek: ...

I've looked for used, but am tired of waiting for a small (5'6", 29.5" inseam) bike to show up. So, I'm looking at new bikes - this is where I need some advice. I tried the popular Poprad, loved the ride, but not the fit, and I need to wait for the fall (sold out of the non-disc models). The Kona Jake the Snake is very nice, but again, sold out until fall. So, I'm looking at the Devinci Tosca (a little more than the JtS, at $1850 Canadian versus $1400). Opinions? Is this overkill for my needs? Other suggestions? I'm in Toronto, if that makes a diff. Based on difficulties with fitting, I'd really prefer to ride before buying (which is why I haven't been looking at the ubiquitous Surly/Soma frames).

Thanks,
Simon

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
EvilScience said:
sold out until fall
Are these just the Canadian distributors? Since you're in Toronto, you're four or less hours from two major US metro regions -- Buffalo and Detroit. You might check availability in the US and make a road trip.

Then when you come back over the border, don't declare anything. You've just got a bike on your roof -- did some biking on holiday and all that.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Handlebars in Buffalo has Cannondale, Lemond and Obera, down the street, Shickluna sells Giant, Specialized and Felt. Any of those would be a nice option, plus you can get a frame or two of bowling in. Jim or Moose, respectivly, can order what you need, all have a bike in your price range, esp w/ currency nearly at par

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.