Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been riding the new bike (litespeed firenze 55cm) for about a month and some knee pain on my right front right knee has been occuring more and more. Last year I had a trek 1200 56cm and had no leg problems at all. Along with the new bike I changed shoes from Nike Ventoux's to Sidi Zeta's. My crank arms are 170mm and im 5' 9 and a half which is ideal for my inseam according to most things ive read.

Ive lately been fiddling around with seat height and cleat placement and havent found relief from the pain.

Maybe its just that I was pushing to high a gear on a few rides, but its strange that its only my right knee front part thats causing problems. Maybe there is a leg length difference here.

Im thinking about going in for a bike fi, im wondering how much these usually cost and do LBS usually have a pretty good reputation for giving bike fits?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I'd definitely get the fit done, especially a cleat alignment. If looking down a bit you'll see a post from me about knee pain. Mine also started with a new set-up, not a bike, but just pedals and shoes. I had my fittings done and they have really help with the comfort on the bike. I'm still dealing with pain, but it's the after effects that I have now. In the end my fittings, including Lemond Wedges, cost me around $200...I now it sounds steep, but my knees and back are worth it...

Rich

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went out for a 2 hour ride this evening in my old ventoux shoes (never had them properly aligned either) and had less knee pain but still had pain in the achilles (still hasnt healed from a 2 weeks ago). The new Sidi shoes are defintely cause more pain than the old shoes

I inquired at a reputable bike shop for a pro fitting and its $140 bucks, the lemond kit is in the mail as well. Im gonna go for the pro fit and see what happens

·
Professional Lurker
242 Posts
Erotomaniac said:
Ive been riding the new bike (litespeed firenze 55cm) for about a month and some knee pain on my right front right knee has been occuring more and more. Last year I had a trek 1200 56cm and had no leg problems at all. Along with the new bike I changed shoes from Nike Ventoux's to Sidi Zeta's. My crank arms are 170mm and im 5' 9 and a half which is ideal for my inseam according to most things ive read.

Ive lately been fiddling around with seat height and cleat placement and havent found relief from the pain.

Maybe its just that I was pushing to high a gear on a few rides, but its strange that its only my right knee front part thats causing problems. Maybe there is a leg length difference here.

Im thinking about going in for a bike fi, im wondering how much these usually cost and do LBS usually have a pretty good reputation for giving bike fits?
If you do a search in the forums, you will turn up a tremendous number of posts regarding knee pain: anything from chondromalacia to tendonitis to seat positioning.

Pain in the front of the knee is generally indicative of too low of a seat height (combination of seat height and fore/aft position). Considering that your pain presented itself immediately after switching shoes, I would guess that it is due to seat height.

I'm uncertain of the stack height of the Nike shoes (sole thickness), but the non-carbon Sidis have very thick soles. The several millimeter difference could certainly cause knee pain.

Compare the stack height of your old and new shoes and adjust seat height based on the results. Also, since the pain is from overuse, it would be best to spin out for a few rides and not do low-cadence work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts