Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What all should I get them to swap? Obviously the crank & I'd like a short cage derailleur... what about a front der or left shifter? It's Shimano 105 9-speed.... I can't pass it up, the bike is half price and the Scott CR1 frame is worth as much as their clearance price for the bike.

·
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
5,354 Posts
Crank and bb is all you *have* to change. The rd will work fine either way, and you can adjust the fd to work, though I found a double specific works better.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Don't really need anything...

Take the 30T ring off, adjust the limit screws of the FD to not drop the chain. Now I'm not sure which ring you have but you could buy a 38 or 39t and replace the 42t (guessing it is) and there you go. Only the really trained eye will pick out the conversion.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
why bother...

If nothing is changed except removing the little ring, little has been gained. The chainline is NOT the same as normal double. The middle ring is about 6mm further to the right, which makes the middle ring and largest cog an extreme chainline that shouldn't be used.

If the BB is changed to a double (assuming it's an octalink), then at least the chainline will only be about 1mm too far to the right.

As others noted, the correct method is to change the crank, BB and FD. If the parts are new, selling them on E-bay would be a good way to reduce the cost of the conversion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.