Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I loved the Scott, it rode well and looked pretty cool. I have done a lot of projects in my life, cars, bikes, you name it. I always end up doing a "black" bike. Which is odd as I love color. I had always wanted to do my uber colorful car but never managed it, so I finally got my color :twisted:

I had first considered Parlee and Cervelo. Tom from Parlee was an incredible person to work with and I still would like one of his frames. I considered the R3 but reliability aside they were not very easy to work with. After chatting with Jason I checked out Cyfac (whom I had heard about before) and then called them. Eric from VeloEuropa was beyond helpful, this was something that mattered to me. I still would have liked the R3 but didn't want to deal with such a company.

Eric and I chatted about the Gothica and I soon figured out that either way I would be gaining some weight. The fork would be lighter but the frame could be as much as 1300 grams. While not near as light as the Scott the frames hand made beauty and wonderful paint work (not to mention how rare they are) really enticed me. This combined with Eric, well it was a no brainer. The frame showed up today and being the weight weenie I am the first thing I checked was the weight, well it was heavier. I was a bit bummed until I built the bike up.

The paint is amazing, so clean and well done, graphics are flawless, so I started to hang components. Well turns out you can't really feel less than half a pound that easy, and the bike is georgeous, god I can't get over it. Fits me great, and my short break in ride was oncredibly smooth, Scott can keep their couple 100 grams for the way this thing rides :shock: . Anyways, I have a wonderful training ride tomorrow and am tired. Here is the first pic of the frame. More pics and a complete writeup will follow tomorrow!

13lbs and some light change... thats with complete power meter :twisted: Still DAMN light.

K

· Registered
2,601 Posts
A very nice frameset indeed.

I thought the custom Gothica was around 1000g? Maybe that's without the elaborate paint job. No one mentions it, but surface finish is definitely sacrificed on super lightweight frames. I also agree that you don't really feel the impact of a few hundred grams more or less. If you're going weight weenie you really should be thinking about saving 500 - 1000g over a current build or it's not worth doing from a feel perspective.

· naranjito
785 Posts
that is one of the best looking bikes I have seen in a while... I wasn't too fussed about the scott you had (although i had been following it's progress over the months), but this is something else. Although for a weight weenie i guess the overall weight is important, the way the frame rides can make it feel so much 'lighter'... my paris carbon weighs in at 8kg exactly (17.64lbs), but feels so much lighter out on the road. Only one recommendation - the pulsions don't look right on the cyfac. record carbons would be sooooo much nicer. maybe when the new ones come out the weight will be more comparable to the pulsions, but with the better looks!

foz

· Registered
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glad you like it guys, now if I could get a quick break from the rain this morning :(. The Pulsions do look a bit off I agree, must of been my night photo. In the flesh they don't stand out as much. I also can't give up my Ergomo (ISIS) it makes me too fast :p .

K

· classiquesklassieker
3,113 Posts
divve said:
A very nice frameset indeed.

I thought the custom Gothica was around 1000g? Maybe that's without the elaborate paint job. No one mentions it, but surface finish is definitely sacrificed on super lightweight frames. I also agree that you don't really feel the impact of a few hundred grams more or less. If you're going weight weenie you really should be thinking about saving 500 - 1000g over a current build or it's not worth doing from a feel perspective.
Divve, I think IUBike's Gothica is the lugged version, not the mitre-tubed version. However, I have to say that I'd rather have an additional 200g of beautiful paintjob than have the generic look of other "weightweenie" frames.

The mitre-tubed version saves a few hundred grams, and since Cyfac can do full-on custom I think you can just tell them to build a frame that's 1000g. For an additional price, of course. I think Eric at Veloeuropa mentioned that they can build you a 600g frame (unpainted) if that's what you insist on, but they want to focus on overall ride quality, not just weight.

IUBike, that is a beautiful frame, I am so envious. I just saw Eric's mitre-tubed Gothica with the same paint scheme a few weeks ago and it comes with drool-cover ;-).

That Pulsion crankset looks totallly drool-inducing in person.

Looking forward to hearing your impression of it.

· Adrenalina Italiana
987 Posts
Very nice IUBike.

Definately a bike you don't see that often.I would have gone with the lugged version as well.Their seat and chainstays are absolutely gorgeous,some of the beefiest around. I also agree that this frame needs some high end Campag wheels on it to put it over the top.Maybe some Campag Boras or Hyperon Ultras.

I'd be interested in finding out how long their wait is on their custom frames,because I am definately interested in picking up one of their frames later this year.Thanks IUBike for peaking my intrest,as this is one dropdead gorgeous frame.I'm anxiously awaiting your review on the ride now.

· classiquesklassieker
3,113 Posts
SPINDAWG said:
Definately a bike you don't see that often.I would have gone with the lugged version as well.Their seat and chainstays are absolutely gorgeous,some of the beefiest around. I also agree that this frame needs some high end Campag wheels on it to put it over the top.Maybe some Campag Boras or Hyperon Ultras.

I'd be interested in finding out how long their wait is on their custom frames,because I am definately interested in picking up one of their frames later this year.Thanks IUBike for peaking my intrest,as this is one dropdead gorgeous frame.I'm anxiously awaiting your review on the ride now.
Spindawg, wait time is 9-12 weeks depending on the time of year and complexity of the build and the paint. You should contact Velo Europa directly. Eric is super-knowledgeable and super-helpful, and he'll tell you straight away what to expect.

· Twitterpated
3,118 Posts
IUbike,

Congratulations! Definately post some more pictures! We want to see lots of close ups.

Hey, I was down your way today. We parked by Chapman's and rode around Lake Monroe. What a beautiful day.

Thanks,
Tshirt

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.