Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to find a road bike for my hubby so we can start riding together. He's 6'0" with an inseam of 31" - so he's tall, but has short legs (as a comparison, I am 5'2" with a 30.5" inseam). When I shopped for my road bike (about 2 years ago), I had to go for a pretty small frame because I have a short torso, so I didn't have an issue with standover height. On the other hand, my hubby is likely to have issues with the standover height because of his short legs. So what's the best way to do this... buy a smaller frame that will fit his standover height and then get a setback seatpost and longer stem? Can anyone recommend any particular model that has worked for them? We're not looking at spending a fortune... an entry level bike in the $600 range would work, as I really don't think he'll use it very much.

Thanks!

· now in philadelphia
798 Posts
mahgnillig said:
I'm trying to find a road bike for my hubby so we can start riding together. He's 6'0" with an inseam of 31" - so he's tall, but has short legs (as a comparison, I am 5'2" with a 30.5" inseam). When I shopped for my road bike (about 2 years ago), I had to go for a pretty small frame because I have a short torso, so I didn't have an issue with standover height. On the other hand, my hubby is likely to have issues with the standover height because of his short legs. So what's the best way to do this... buy a smaller frame that will fit his standover height and then get a setback seatpost and longer stem? Can anyone recommend any particular model that has worked for them? We're not looking at spending a fortune... an entry level bike in the $600 range would work, as I really don't think he'll use it very much.

Thanks!
in general: look for a compact geometry frame with a sloping top tube - this will give you the greatest latitude in sizing. at that height, look for a top tube around 56cm to 58cm long.

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I think that the most problematic factor will be to find a bike with a long enough top tube. Standover height is important, but a bike that will fit the bill there will likely be too short front to back. I'm built similarly, although taller. I'm 6'3" and have a 32 pants inseam. I have a 37" sleeve length. I have a bike with a 58.5 top tube and I use a 140mm stem. I strongly suggest you go to several different bike shops if possible, take a few test rides, get fit by an expert.

· Sticky Valentine
28,415 Posts
I don't know if you've already had your problem solved, but I can vouch for the compact geometry/sloping top tube suggestion.

I'm 6'3'' and I wear a 30'' inseam in my pants. I am all torso, and this was the solution to my problem. I was able to get a larger bike, with a longer top tube, while still giving myself plenty of stand over clearance. And I even have quite a bit of seat post showing so it doesn't look look ridiculous. I have a track bike that is technically the same size (top to center) as my Gunnar with standard geometry and I had literally only about an inch and a half of seat post showing and almost no standover clearance at all.

joe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.