Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, first time posting and need some help.
I'm getting a road bike to stay in shape. Looking at these three bikes and hoping you could chime in for better or worse (or if you have suggestions within this price range); I know there is a difference in components, but will they really make that much of a difference to someone who is not going to race.
As background, I used to ride BMX and road when I was a kid (over 20 yrs ago) I currently ride MTB but not often anymore as it is very time consuming to get to trails
Thanks

http://www.triathletesports.com/pro...?Click=11702&gclid=CL7dlenHxJQCFQOeFQod7jO6GA

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/BI300C02-Bianchi+Via+Nirone+7+W+Free+105+Kit+07.aspx

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/BI297C00-Bianchi+Via+Nirone+7+Al+Wfree+Tiagra+07.aspx

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
I'm wondering why you picked these 3? One is a compact crank, the other 2 aren't. Is there some connection between the choices? Do you even have a clue as to what size frame you need?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Size 57 cm. I used to ride Bianchis when I raced way back when; so there is a sentimental value attached to this. As for the KHS, I can probably get this bike on a closeout for about $850.00 and the Large fits me.
I'm on my way to try the Bianchi, and I would actually purchase from an LBS if the price difference is reasonable.
Also, I am open to other suggestions.
Thanks

·
Registered
232 Posts
Well, you can eliminate the Bianchi with 105 as it is only available in 59cm or 61cm. The Bianchi frames are pretty much all made in Taiwan these days so there isn't really the "Italian Mystique" attached to them anymore. That said, they are still a quality product. There is nothing wrong with KHS either, they are a quality Taiwan builder so their product is on par with other top Taiwan made bikes. Also, if you are looking at buying online (and taking into account the general lack of service with online companies), Bikes Direct sells a full carbon bike that is well equipped for under a grand called the Windsor Falkirk. It appears to be well equipped and the BD bikes are made by Kinesis, which is one of the top Taiwan bicycle manufacturers.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Specialized Allez seems to be a popular choice on these forums for a good first bike, my friend has been loving his so far. Also I forgot the magazine but the Scott Speedster series won the under $1000 shootout recently.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hayduke1972, thanks for replying. I know the Bianchi 105 is only available in 59 and 61, this is why I am going to try them on as I have heard that Bianchi runs small (true?). I saw the Windsor on BD, looks like a great deal, but I want to try the bike first so that rules it out.
How substantial is the difference bet. the 105 and Tiagra components?
B15serv, I had not considered these two, but I will put them in my list. Thanks for the suggestions
Cheers

·
Registered
232 Posts
Bianchi...like most Italian companies, run shorter top tubes than some of the traditional American road bikes. Also, because the frames are semi-compact...virtual top tube (equivalent of a traditional level top tube) length is what needs to be taken into consideration (not actual top tube length). So a 59cm Bianchi has a 58cm virtual top tube length (56.5cm actual). A traditional 57cm Bianchi had a relatively short 56cm toptube (I know, I sold and worked on them from 1996-1998). So if you fit a 57cm in the past, a 59cm is probably not going to work. But of course a test ride will ultimately determine that.

If you have a Jamis dealer in town, I would recommend looking at the Ventura Race. Its full 105 and like most Jamis bikes...represents a very good deal

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.