Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

I recently got into mountain biking a few months ago and really love it. It's crazy how much I've improved already.

Anyway, it made me realize how much I enjoy biking in general. I'd like to get a separate commuter bike now too. Not a racing bike where I'm all hunched over by any means, just something to get me to work and maybe around some paths with the girl every now and then. I want a separate bike so I'm not always fiddling with the air pressure in my mountain bike.

My mountain bike has disc brakes and I love the stopping power they provide, so I'd like a bike with those. I'd also want to keep it under $500, $600 tops, if possible. Does such a ride exist?

Oh, and I don't want to buy online. I'm definitely still a newbie and NEED the benefits of a lbs.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
5,084 Posts
With myself also doing mtb a lot (3yrs), and even though you like the disk brake feel and power, you will find it's not needed on the road. I mess, tune, tweak my mtb disk brakes to be perfect all the time.

On the road, you have a better stopping surface and usually more warning. You just have to make sure the brakes are set up right and the pads work well. My stock Tekkro pads sucked balls big time. I replaced them with Shimano Ultegra pads and I could not be happier.

To you original question, you probably will not find a road bike with disk brakes. They are weight prohibitive and not really needed. If you look at a cyclocross bike, you could find some.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,745 Posts
jgross80 said:
I want a separate bike so I'm not always fiddling with the air pressure in my mountain bike.
That's it? I can see wanting another bike but if it's just so you don't have to fiddle with air pressure I'd recommend saving your money until you identify something a little more meaningful that you want from a bike.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hank Stamper said:
That's it? I can see wanting another bike but if it's just so you don't have to fiddle with air pressure I'd recommend saving your money until you identify something a little more meaningful that you want from a bike.
And a lighter frame without a fork, less tire friction ........ there's obviously other reasons. I'm not quite that lazy.
 

· turtle killer.
Joined
·
1,854 Posts
ziscwg said:
On the road, you have a better stopping surface and usually more warning. You just have to make sure the brakes are set up right and the pads work well. My stock Tekkro pads sucked balls big time. I replaced them with Shimano Ultegra pads and I could not be happier.

this. I don't miss the discs that are on my mtb on the road. Plenty of stopping power with the rim brakes.

However, you may want to consider getting a second set of wheels off craigslist etc if you're really just irritated with the putzing with tires. Should be plenty comfy that way as an upright commuter.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top