Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am getting a new bike within the next few weeks.
It is mostly flat where I live and ride. I do not want a lightweight road bike.
I would like to ride something with 32's or 35's with drop bars.
I am open to steel or alu. I ride about 80-100 miles per week for fitness and commuting to work twice a week (rt 26 miles).
I want to spend about $1100- $1300 and put a rack (braze ons a must) at least on the rear.
I like the Specialized Tricross Sport (I can get it for $1250), but not crazy about the components on it.
Kona has a couple neat choices for me, but the closest dealer is one hour away and does not offer lifetime maintenence.
I have considered a Casseroll single, but I think that I will stick with gears.
Raleigh has a couple of choices. (Soujourn and Clubman). But I am not sure about Raleighs.

Basically I am looking for a light-tourer/commuter/something fun enough to want to ride 5-6 times a week for fitness.
Right now I ride a Specialized Crosstrail which I really enjoy. It is heavy and slow, so I would like a little more speed for this bike.
Thanks

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Considering you won't drive an hour to look at a bike, why not provide brand offerings local to you for us to choose from. Also, are you open to WSD's?

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
if you can do w/o ergo/sti, you could build up a casseroll as a 1x9 or 1x10... or if cantis are ok a crosscheck, or even a lht if 26" wheels are ok... the complete surlys are about 1G

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
So a bike for a commuter/enthusiast.

Raleigh Clubman- new model, kind of nice

Trek 520 these have been around forever

Salsa Casseroll solid- a buddy has one and loves it.

Kona ****** Tonk This is a cool bike. Retro feel, but simple. Takes 28c tires no problem and racks & fenders work easily.

Your comment "he closest dealer is one hour away and does not offer lifetime maintenance" is not worth the time it took you to type it. No brand offers "lifetime maintenance." That's the shop's offer and I don't see how they could realistically get by without charging for normal wear and tear. Still, it sounds like a shop that might be worth doing business.

Something you should do is total the operating costs of the bike. Things like tune-ups, tubes, tires, chains, cassettes and the like. I don't mean to the penny. If you figure you'll spend $200 a year (on average over 10 years) to keep a well made bike running that'd be the low end. A spring tune-up and consumables every year add up regardless of whether the bike is bought next door or out of state.

·
Registered
108 Posts
PJ352 said:
Considering you won't drive an hour to look at a bike, why not provide brand offerings local to you for us to choose from. Also, are you open to WSD's?
This is very true. Definitely let us know what brands are available locally. Ask the bike shops about their "lifetime maintenance". My LBS will definitely give free adjustments and quick diagnosis, but most of those things I've learned to do myself too with a basic tool set.

If you're going to buy new, I would go with your LBS especially for sizing and warranty work, unless you can find a great deal online and know your exact size.

You're asking the right questions though. At your price point and goals, I would definitely try to get at least Shimano 105, Campy Veloce, or SRAM Rival. I prefer steel, which I gave up a long time ago for new now back up aluminum ride, which I regret.

A few steel rides fitting your light touring and commuting needs include Surly Crosscheck, Long haul trucker. KONA makes some REALLY nice models, but fully built up may be out of your price point.

If you are considering aluminum, I bike that I absolutely love (and have) that has rack mounts and disc brakes, but is single speed is Van Dessel's country road bob. Very fun and comfortable ride with wide tires, but it is a single speed. It does have a derailleur hanger if you'd like to convert to a geared bike later on with parts possibly from an old bike or off of ebay. MSRP is $1k.

·
Registered
282 Posts
my friend who is my lbs bike mechanic is saving for the tricross sport in the shop, he already rides it 2 and fro from work and really likes it, yes he said the componants arent great but since hes good with bikes he has it running very well, he said the only thing hed want to change quicky is the crank but everything else is ok, he really likes the frame

1 - 8 of 8 Posts