Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
jaydub_u
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started riding in Sept. 08. I'm 51 years old and have come down from 286lbs to 240lbs in the last year. So I started road biking again as I used to do it when in my 20's and it kept me in good shape. Well after 25 years away from it I bought a entry bike last year and just recently upgraded to a Cervelo S1 2 weeks ago. I am trying to commit to minimum of 60 miles a week with daylite savings and all and I actually rode 75 my first week. So today I did my longest ride yet. 48miles. Took 4 hours which included 4 stops. One at a LBS for about 25 min. But there was some pretty heavy uphill for about 4 miles. Averaged 16.1 mph. I want to do a metric century by sometime in june and a 100 mile'r by end of year. We'll see. The guys that were leaving me in the dust last year are struggling to keep up with me now. 3 mos. with a trainer through the winter has really helped my cycling.
I am smoking my buddies on the climbs.
Well between the work outs, the info gained on this forum and my new Cervelo, I am pretty inspired and having a lot of fun. Well I think I will go soak in the tub for a while. :)

·
Folsom City Blues...
3,890 Posts
Great, keep up the good work. It pays you back to two fold in the long run. I'm just a bit older then you are and I enjoy gitting out and riding for fun and health.

Peace

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Keep after it, it just keeps getting better. You'll feel so good when you get that first century.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Very nice man. I just did my first century this weekend and it is a great feeling. I was a competitive swimmer and runner so I took up biking to start doing tri's.

Congrats and keep up the good work.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Great stuff! I got back into road biking a few years ago, at about your age, and so far I have been able to maintain my fitness year to year.

One thing to keep in mind is to take the long view, and plan to increase effort and distance gradually, which you seem to be doing. That is the way to avoid overuse injuries (speaking from experience!).

·
Baltic Scum
1,826 Posts
crazy1323 said:
...so I took up biking to start doing tri's.
Caution, young Padawan! The Dark Side is a most dangerous place and full of trigeeks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts