Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Newbie here. Been riding bikes all my life but just recently got my first single-speed road bike and decided to join here.

The bike is nothing fancy but I really dig it. 2008 SE Lager all stock except Brooks B17 black leather saddle, MKS Touring pedals (no big deal, just happen to like the look/feel), and Continental Ultra Gatorskin 700x28's. Oh, and a tail-light and a small bell.

Here's the bike-
http://www.sebikes.com/2008/bike-detail.asp?id=46

I've been using the Brooks saddle for a couple years now and love it. I put the MKS Touring pedals on because that's what I had on my last bike, and I don't like the feel of the toe-straps/pedals that came with the Lager. Also, I use the bike as my primary mode of transportation here in Chicago so I went with the Ultra Gatorskins to prevent/minimize the inevitable flats from the city roads/debris, and the bell and tail-light are nice when dealing with big-city traffic/pedestrians.

Anyhow, nice to be here and hope to provide some helpful info in the future. I'll try and keep the newbie comments/questions to a minimum and search for answers before just lazily throwing a new post up.

Peace, love, and cycling.

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
yeah...we are witty...oh so witty.....witty and pretty and cooooooooooool..........

lord.....don't hit the send button...NO....NO...stop....

too late

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really love riding this Lager. It's much more fun than my previous bike. I had a 2007 Raleigh Passage 3.5 Hybrid with 700x40 tires. Great entry level hybrid, lightweight with decent components for the $$$, but 700x40 was huge. I didn't realize until I rode the 700x28's that my new Lager came with. I don't think I want to go much smaller for my purposes, but it's great to have lighter/faster tires. I'm 6'4" and only 160 lbs, fyi, so I think these smaller tires suit me.

ALSO, and more importantly, I LOVE the single speed setup. The ChroMo frame is nice and the total weight is only 24 lbs after I added the Brooks saddle and the MKS pedals (both were heavier than the stock parts they replaced, I think). 24 lbs is not too bad for the price I paid. I love the simplicity and silence of the single speed. I usually only used a high and a low gear back when I had 27 to choose from. It's got a 46/16 setup stock and I plan to leave it that way. Perfect gearing for me currently.

It also has the flip-flop hub but I am not really comfortable with fixed gear in Chicago. I don't have the balls or the skills. Too many obstacles/hazards. So I'll be leaving it SS unless I find myself on some nice empty paved trail somewhere, which is doubtful because any trail around Chicago is jam packed with joggers, rollerbladers, kids, other bikers, walkers, you name it... Plus I live only about 4 miles from the loop so there aren't any trails nearby.

No disrespect meant to the fixie crowd, I just plain couldn't hack it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the new ride! I'm a newbie to the whole SS/FG thing too and just got a Felt Dispatch 2 months ago. I felt the same way about riding fixed and just rode the SS side for about a month to get used to the new bike. Then one night, I just flipped the wheel to the fixed side for kicks to see what it was all about. I was pretty nervous at first and had to really concentrate just riding up and own my block the first time out. Then I went out on my first road ride on the fixed side with great trepidation. Guess what? I survived and even loved it! Now I don't think I would even consider going back to SS. I can't skid or do any of the cool tricks and I run and use a front and rear brake, but the feel of riding fixed is just too much fun to go back to free. Once you get used to your bike, go ahead and flip that wheel around and try fixed. You might hate it and flip it back. Or, you may just love it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm... maybe I will.

Where do you ride/live? Here in Chicago (4 miles from the heart of downtown) there are plenty of obstacles and traffic. Lots of things to watch out for. 5 bikers have died this year in Chicago already and most were riding fixies. I'm not jumping to any conclusions here but it does make me nervous.

Also, I don't think I could get used to pedaling around corners. Catching a pedal on the ground when your inside leg is on the downstroke would be painful and embarrassing.

I would like to give it a shot though. I just wish I could ride somewhere that wasn't so hazardous to experiment with it. I mean, around here there are cars everywhere. There is nowhere to go to get away from everything. Trial by fire basically.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One small problem came up with the bike...

I grabbed a cheapy $3.99 bottle cage from my local Performance Bike (same place I got the bike) and I went to put it on this morning and when I was removing the frontmost bottle-cage-mount-allenscrew-thingy, it was real hard to unscrew and turned out to be stripped. So either SE did this, or the tech who put it together at Performance did it. Either way, it sucks. So I am going to have to figure something out because that screw won't tighten now, it just spins. Bummer.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
jvande7 said:
One small problem came up with the bike...

I grabbed a cheapy $3.99 bottle cage from my local Performance Bike (same place I got the bike) and I went to put it on this morning and when I was removing the frontmost bottle-cage-mount-allenscrew-thingy, it was real hard to unscrew and turned out to be stripped. So either SE did this, or the tech who put it together at Performance did it. Either way, it sucks. So I am going to have to figure something out because that screw won't tighten now, it just spins. Bummer.
Most (but not all) bikes that come with cage mounts come from the factory with allen bolts. Check with Performance because, either way, that should be a warranty issue.

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
Richard said:
Most (but not all) bikes that come with cage mounts come from the factory with allen bolts. Check with Performance because, either way, that should be a warranty issue.
cross threading it would be the fault of whoever put it in...agreed...warranty issue...BUT in case the do not feel that way, it would be easy enough to either drill next size up and re-tap or helicoil it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The frame is Chromoly so I figured that the likely culprit was the screw itself and not the frame. I stopped by my LBS (not Performance because Performance is 3 or 4 miles away, and this other LBS is about 3 blocks away) and they just gave me a new "screw" for free. Turns out it WAS the screw because they were soft aluminum. So the new screw I got is steel or something (not a soft metal) and it worked perfectly. Crisis averted. :)

FYI I tried to buy the bike from this other local bike shop but they didn't have my size (61cm) and they couldn't tell me when they would get one so I had to do what I had to do. And buying it at Performance saved me over $100. But yeah, I always try to support my local guy when I can.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Nice choice on a bike. For the price you cant argue with a bike like that. I saw one the last time I was at performance and it seemed like a cool ride. Like most others said, that should be a warranty issue and performance should take care of it for you.

·
...?
1,481 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I also live in Chicago, about 5 miles from the loop, and my bike is pretty much my only transportation. I hate CTA. I've been riding year round on a geared bike for the past year and a half, and recently got the balls to try fixed.

my daily commute is about 3 miles each way from Pilsen to South Loop. Pretty relaxing ride once I found a good route.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cool. My buddy lives in Pilsen. Great neighborhood.

Bit of a heat wave here right now (90's and humid all week), but it hasn't stopped me from biking to work. My commute is a little over 4 miles each way. I love not relying on CTA and the $4 I save by not using CTA each day buys me a nice breakfast.

Biking is getting more and more popular around here- I hope the city can keep up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.