Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I bought a 2010 Jamis Ventura Comp on Wednesday. I know that the front shifter is 3 speed... the problem is the crank is just 2x. I would like to know if the front derailleur is also 3 speed. Will I be able to find a shifter/brighter that matches, but is only 2x. Or should I upgrade the crank to 3x. Any opinions, please?

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
That model year for this bike should be a double up front, what makes you think the front shifter is 3-speed?

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
The shifter, derailleur and crankset all look to be original equipment. I know for awhile Shimano used the same model left shifter for both doubles and triples. In the case of using it with a double, the cable tension was adjusted to dial out the non-existent third ring.. at least that's the way I have my '08 Tarmac set up and it works fine.

If you're experiencing problems shifting at the front, I suggest bringing the bike to a reputable shop for adjustment. Ask to watch the mechanic make the adjustment so you can learn as you go.

If OTOH the bike shifts fine, but your gearing doesn't suite your terrain/ fitness, consider changing it. But even then, you can swap out the cassette without messing with the FD shifter.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you! That makes sense. I haven't seen that type of thing on mountain bikes before. I will adjust the cable to fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,564 Posts
Thank you! That makes sense. I haven't seen that type of thing on mountain bikes before. I will adjust the cable to fix.

If you have any problems you can probably find the SI (service instructions) on the Shimano site.

shimano.com
cycling
choose region
road/sora

Then choose the component. Once you have done that you should see options for downloads. The usual offerings included SI, EV (exploded view, good when you need spare parts) and DM (dealer manual).

·
Registered
4 Posts
You will need to set the fd limit screws to shift a double crank with a triple shifter as you use 1st & 2nd gear up front. Drop the front shifter into first gear and release the cable at the derailleur. Shift the rear into first gear and adjust the fd low limit screw (should be marked "L") for about 0.5mm clearance between the inner plate and the chain. Pull the slack out of the cable (make sure you are in 1st gear by downshifting once or twice!) and reattach. Shift the rear to top gear and shift the front one time. Adjust the fd high limit screw (should be marked "H") for about 0.5mm clearance between the outer plate and the chain. Drop the front back into 1st gear and adjust cable tension so you can shift most of the cassette range without rubbing. Youtube has good videos to help with this.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got it adjusted out yesterday morning. I just had not come across that before having worked previously on MTB components.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts

It's the derailleur stop that blocks out the third shift on the shifter, not the cable tension.

If you simply follow the directions for adjusting the derailleur stops, the shifter should work fine.

[edit] oops - see you already figured that out. Didn't read the whole thread.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
It's the derailleur stop that blocks out the third shift on the shifter, not the cable tension.
That's incorrect. Even if the FD stop is adjusted properly, having just enough cable slack will allow the shifter to shift (click) into the third (nonexistent) position.

This can cause excessive pressure at the shifter leading to double/ triple shifters failures. Shimano replaced them under warranty, but has since changed to dedicated models.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
That's incorrect. Even if the FD stop is adjusted properly, having just enough cable slack will allow the shifter to shift (click) into the third (nonexistent) position.

This can cause excessive pressure at the shifter leading to double/ triple shifters failures. Shimano replaced them under warranty, but has since changed to dedicated models.
I always adjust the stops without the cable connected and then connect the cable and get the tension adjusted, so I guess that's why I think of it that way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts