Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been more than 15 years since I've ridden a road bike, which I used to do daily for 5+ years when I was living in Florida. So I'm not exactly a beginner but I want to start again and the technology has changed quite a bit. I'm in the process of researching a new bike and my interests are in the Trek Pilot 5.2 (with Shimano Ultegra components) and the Klein Reve X (with Campagnolo Veloce components). The reason for the interest in these two bikes is the more comfortable, upright riding since I have back issues. My riding will be for fitness and touring in group rides, not racing. Besides the $500 lower price tag for the Klein, I've been told that a guy my size (6'2", 205 lbs) may find the Full-Carbon frame of the Trek too light where the aluminum frame of the Klein provides more support. Any feedback on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
425 Posts
Other options

Check out the Gunnar Sport or the Soma Smoothie ES. Both are steel frames (=comfort) and both are more comfortable, upright geometry. The Soma is very reasonably priced. The Gunnar is a bit more expensive but the quality of the frame is VERY good.

Mike

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mprevost said:
Check out the Gunnar Sport or the Soma Smoothie ES. Both are steel frames (=comfort) and both are more comfortable, upright geometry. The Soma is very reasonably priced. The Gunnar is a bit more expensive but the quality of the frame is VERY good.

Mike

Thanks Mike.

·
Registered
456 Posts
imkush said:
I've been told that a guy my size (6'2", 205 lbs) may find the Full-Carbon frame of the Trek too light where the aluminum frame of the Klein provides more support. Any feedback on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Carbon is a great material for a bike. It should support you just as well as aluminum, especially a Trek bike. I think a more important question for you should be "Which bike feels more comfortable?" Both materials are fine. Aluminum may be cheaper, but carbon would probably give you a more comfortable ride. Try them both and see what YOU think. You're the one that has to ride it, so you need to be happy with it for yourself. Good luck, and enjoy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts