Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been more than 15 years since I've ridden a road bike, which I used to do daily for 5+ years when I was living in Florida. So I'm not exactly a beginner but I want to start again and the technology has changed quite a bit. I'm in the process of researching a new bike and my interests are in the Trek Pilot 5.2 (with Shimano Ultegra components) and the Klein Reve X (with Campagnolo Veloce components). The reason for the interest in these two bikes is the more comfortable, upright riding since I have back issues. My riding will be for fitness and touring in group rides, not racing. Besides the $500 lower price tag for the Klein, I've been told that a guy my size (6'2", 205 lbs) may find the Full-Carbon frame of the Trek too light where the aluminum frame of the Klein provides more support. Any feedback on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
I've never owned a Trek, or any CF bike. I have owned 2 aluminum bikes, & hated both of them. They rode like a thinly upholstered brick on metal roller skate wheels. I'm a big guy too; 6'3" & 200#. The aluminum frames were just merciless. Many al bikes now have CF stays & forks, & these may ride better. Here again, I can't speak from experience.

The other side of the coin is that many, many people love al bikes. Klein, and Cannondale are, & have been, enormously popular.

My siggestion is to read additional posts, which will be made here. Read the reviews on these bikes, if there are any. If you're buying the bike locally, ask to take it on a test ride of at least 30 min. While you're riding, look for some bad road surfaces and compare.

Hope this has helped & not confused you.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Check out this review on the Trek.:
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=113976

I didn't realize that that's almost $3k bike. I have tried a Specialized Roubaix (half of that price) and i found it quite nice riding. Cannondale's Synapse 4 is an aluminum version of their carbon Synapse and is supposed to have an upright geometry without looking like it's a comfort bike. For about $1100, it might be worth seeking out to get a test ride. Now that's for a 105 equiped bike, so expect a reasonable increase for an ultegra bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mr. Versatile said:
I've never owned a Trek, or any CF bike. I have owned 2 aluminum bikes, & hated both of them. They rode like a thinly upholstered brick on metal roller skate wheels. I'm a big guy too; 6'3" & 200#. The aluminum frames were just merciless. Many al bikes now have CF stays & forks, & these may ride better. Here again, I can't speak from experience.

The other side of the coin is that many, many people love al bikes. Klein, and Cannondale are, & have been, enormously popular.

My siggestion is to read additional posts, which will be made here. Read the reviews on these bikes, if there are any. If you're buying the bike locally, ask to take it on a test ride of at least 30 min. While you're riding, look for some bad road surfaces and compare.

Hope this has helped & not confused you.
Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Master Killer said:
Check out this review on the Trek.:
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=113976

I didn't realize that that's almost $3k bike. I have tried a Specialized Roubaix (half of that price) and i found it quite nice riding. Cannondale's Synapse 4 is an aluminum version of their carbon Synapse and is supposed to have an upright geometry without looking like it's a comfort bike. For about $1100, it might be worth seeking out to get a test ride. Now that's for a 105 equiped bike, so expect a reasonable increase for an ultegra bike.

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts