Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very new to the whole "bike as my only vehicle" scenario, and due to a theft, I switched from a mountain bike to a street bike I picked up on CL for next to nothing...

I'm assuming it's a ridiculously cheap bike that no one bothers doing anything to, but it's a '73 Schwinn Varsity that I am having trouble mounting a cargo rack to...because of how the frame is situated. Has anyone done anything to modify this kind of bike?

The wheels have already been replaced with quick releases, and it honestly rides great. I kinda love it. But I'd like to be able to not have to wobble home balancing groceries. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
Most quality racks off the shelf come with the necessary hardware. Although a new rack might cost more than what your bike is worth. Try fabricating a bracket (or two) out of strips of a stiff piece of sheet metal, along with some nuts and bolts. With a little ingenuity, you can find a way to attach these to the frame just above the rear brake calipers. I can sorta visualize making this happen, but it would take a bunch of diagrams and photos to walk you thru it. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
If this rack is sold on Amazon then read the reviews. Or, try asking. The best reviews often give mounting advice and it's saved me considerable time and grief. In your case I'm guessing the answer is p-clamps. Or, if there's a decent local hardware store stop by and tell them what you're trying to do.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts