Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally had the time over the holiday weekend to clean up my bike and snap a few pics. Thanks to great advice of the members here, I ended up with a Tarmac Elite. It is an 09', but I got a closeout deal on it. I was originally in the market for a bike in the price range of the Allez Comp, but I picked this up for just a hundred bucks more, plus I got fitted by a BG certified tech. So far, I have no regrets whatsoever. I have owned the bike for close to a month and have put on about 400 miles on it with a smile on my face :D

After my great experience with my LBS and my love for Specialized, I convinced my girlfriend to pickup a bike for herself. It is a Dolce Comp and so far, she loves it. I'm trying to convince her to go clipless, but she's still trying to get the hang of riding a bike with drops first. I will most likely end up moving the powergrips from her hybrid over to this.

Earlier today, I was at Performance and on an impulse buy, I picked these up..... Easton E90 SLX Special Editions. From what I've read, they are essentially the 2008 model yr EA90 SLX's, so I don't get the fancy bearings, the better graphics, and a slightly heavier weight. I'm still on the fence if I should keep them or not. I was actually planning on picking up a set of ROL's, or Williams 30's, but Performance had the 20% off sale today and I couldn't resist :crazy: Should I keep them?

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
I would definitely keep that wheelset. There's minimal difference between it and the standard EA-90 SLX's. I have the EA-70's (and like them alot) and tried several times to get your model, but Performance was always out of stock.

Nice bike, BTW. It would look even better with those Easton's installed. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PJ352 said:
I would definitely keep that wheelset. There's minimal difference between it and the standard EA-90 SLX's. I have the EA-70's (and like them alot) and tried several times to get your model, but Performance was always out of stock.

Nice bike, BTW. It would look even better with those Easton's installed. :thumbsup:
Thanks PJ. Thanks again for helping me in making my decision as well.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
skyliner1004 said:
should you raise your GF's seatpost up a little? or flip the stem? kind of looks like a weird riding position...
I'm sure your advice is well intended, but I wouldn't suggest someone follow it.

I agree that it's somewhat unusual to see a drop bar bike set up with bars above saddle, but bike fittings aren't based on aesthetics, they're based on meeting a riders physical requirements/ personal preferences. Depending on a fitness/ flexibility (or lack thereof), dropping the bars may introduce neck/ shoulder pain while raising the saddle can cause knee pain.

Bottom line, if the OP's GF can ride efficiently and in relative comfort, the goals have been met. And (assuming she's relatively new to the sport) because fit evolves, there's a good chance that she'll be dropping the bars as her fitness improves.

·
Registered
190 Posts
PJ352 said:
I'm sure your advice is well intended, but I wouldn't suggest someone follow it.

I agree that it's somewhat unusual to see a drop bar bike set up with bars above saddle, but bike fittings aren't based on aesthetics, they're based on meeting a riders physical requirements/ personal preferences. Depending on a fitness/ flexibility (or lack thereof), dropping the bars may introduce neck/ shoulder pain while raising the saddle can cause knee pain.

Bottom line, if the OP's GF can ride efficiently and in relative comfort, the goals have been met. And (assuming she's relatively new to the sport) because fit evolves, there's a good chance that she'll be dropping the bars as her fitness improves.
Skyliner has a bad habit of offering unsolicited advice, well intended or not. He did the same thing on the mountain bike forum.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks PJ for the reply.

My LBS did the basic BG fit for her. She was sized for a 50, so the 48 was too small and the 51 is a little bit big, but it was closer to her ideal fit. She is not using clipless and she pedals more flat footed, so the seatpost may look a little short, although it is at the ideal height. They also flipped the stem for comfort reasons. She came from a hybrid, so we wanted to ease her into the riding position of a road bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.