Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new bike, I'm just a bit lower in the saddle than my road bike as it's for cross. Yesterday I did a 90 minute ride and today i'm aware of my knees. I feel them just underneath my kneecap. Think this is most likely a seat height issue?

·
Folsom City Blues...
3,392 Posts
Try setting your bike up close to a wall or doorway, put on your biking gear and shoes. If you have a trainer that would be even better. Anyhoo, mount your bike with out falling and put the heel of you're bike shoes on the peddle move the pedals to 12:00 and 6:00 o'clock. Your legs should be pretty straight at the 6:00. You should be able to pedal backwards comfortably.

Now try pedaling backwards and have someone check to see if your hips are moving up and down. If so the your saddle is too high, if you have a bend in your knee at the 12:00 and 6:00, your saddle is too low.

After you fiddle around with the saddle height and feel you got it pretty close where you want it. Now if you have a plumb bob that would be best but, if not, use some string and a good heavy bolt for the next step.

This time set the pedal at 3:00 and 9:00, take the plumb bob and put the end of the string on the inside of your knee between the knee cap and femur. And begin to move your your seat aft and fore till the plump bob is over the spindle.

That is what is referred to as KOP. This should get your set up pretty close to where you want to be. From there if it's not right where you feel it should be make small changes till you feel good about your set up. I hope this helps.

Peace :cool:

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Anterior knee pain is commonly caused by a saddle set too low, but there are other possible causes as well. Because it's the easiest to check and adjust, start there, but refer to the attached link (specifically under Knee Pain - Anterior) for additional info:
http://www.cptips.com/knee.htm

·
Registered
21,544 Posts
An FYI

Elfstone said:
Try setting your bike up close to a wall or doorway, put on your biking gear and shoes. If you have a trainer that would be even better. Anyhoo, mount your bike with out falling and put the heel of you're bike shoes on the peddle move the peddles to 12:00 and 6:00 o'clock. Your legs should be pretty straight at the 6:00. You should be able to peddle backwards comfortably.

Now try peddling backwards and have someone check to see if your hips are moving up and down. If so the your saddle is too high, if you have a bend in your knee at the 12:00 and 6:00, your saddle is too low.

After you fiddle around with the saddle height and feel you got it pretty close where you want it. Now if you have a plumb bob that would be best but, if not, use some string and a good heavy bolt for the next step.

This time set the peddle at 3:00 and 9:00, take the plumb bob and put the end of the string on the inside of your knee between the knee cap and femur. And begin to move your your seat aft and fore till the plump bob is over the spindle.

That is what is referred to as KOP. This should get your set up pretty close to where you want to be. From there if it's not right where you feel it should be make small changes till you feel good about your set up. I hope this helps.
Just so you know, it's pedal, pedals, and pedaling. A pedler is someone who sells things, often door to door or in the street. Has nothing to do with bicycles.

·
More carbon fiber please!
791 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
Just so you know, it's pedal, pedals, and pedaling. A pedler is someone who sells things, often door to door or in the street. Has nothing to do with bicycles.
But, you could become a pedaling pedal peddler. Just don't pedal on the petals when you pop by to peddle your pedals, please.

·
Folsom City Blues...
3,392 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
Thanx for the correction, I'll keep that in mind in my future pedal post.

Peace :cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts