Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've crossed over...I picked up my Specialized Roubaix Comp this week, rode 50 miles between 3 rides and believe that my Santa Cruz Superlight is going to spend a lot of time on the bike rack. Also, I noticed that my HR so far is lower on the road bike compared to the MTB (87% max, 74% avg to 94% max, low 80%'s avg) for the same perceived exertion. Is this about normal or has it been to not enough challenging terrain?

Thanks,
Jason

· Registered
656 Posts
is it perceived exertion or perceived speed? You brain may be getting tricked into thinking because you are going so much faster, you are outputting more, when it reality it takes much less power to get a road bike to go the same speed as a MTB. But obviously you've learned that.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My average speed on the MTB was about 9 MPH and on the road bike has been about 15 MPH. But the brain being tricked could be happening. I don't have cadence on my computer, but I estimate that I have been spinning slower on the road bike.

Thanks

· Two wheels=freedom!
711 Posts
My max sustained HR on my mtn bike was 184 on a killer technical climb. Max sustained HR on the road bike is 172 on an equally hard, climb, but without the rocks, roots, and loose dirt that requires additional concentration (stress?) on the mtn bike. (Not too shabby for a 52yo guy)

The "stress" factor on the mtn bike adds a little extra heart rate...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.