Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Dan
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a Giant Defy advanced 3 with Tiagra for three years - it was getting a bit tired so became keyboard warrior, weekend end tester, forum junkie as I wanted something NEW and exciting.

I bought a new Giant Defy advanced 2 :)

I love it, APART from one thing - the free hub is the clicky type - I don't like that. What can I do :(

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,409 Posts
What brand of hubs are on your new bike? Some hub brands have noisy freewheels. There are a few options:

1) Swap your wheels with the ones on your old bike and sell these on eBay.

2) Buy new wheels with Shimano hubs (quietest freehub) and sell these on eBay.

3) Live with the noisy freehub.

4) See TLG's response in post #2.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
What brand of hubs are on your new bike? Some hub brands have noisy freewheels. There are a few options:

1) Swap your wheels with the ones on your old bike and sell these on eBay.

2) Buy new wheels with Shimano hubs (quietest freehub) and sell these on eBay.

3) Live with the noisy freehub.

4) See TLG's response in post #2.
You left out the most obvious fix: put a heavier lube in the freehub. I use a light grease mixed with oil - barely audible (Campy hubs) and it never causes a pawl to slip.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,409 Posts
You left out the most obvious fix: put a heavier lube in the freehub. I use a light grease mixed with oil - barely audible (Campy hubs) and it never causes a pawl to slip.

Hmmmm. The word around these forums is that greasing the freehub will quiet it down a little for awhile, but the noise soon comes back. In your experience, how long does this fix work?

·
Never Give Up!
1,241 Posts
Just ride more, you will get use to clicky-clicky clicks - I rode SHIMANO for years, now riding Fulcrums, at first I didn't think I was going to use these wheels making all that racket, now I don't even pay any attention to it.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,409 Posts
Just ride more, you will get use to clicky-clicky clicks - I rode SHIMANO for years, now riding Fulcrums, at first I didn't think I was going to use these wheels making all that racket, now I don't even pay any attention to it.

It may not make much difference when riding with noisy traffic around you or on a group ride with chatty cyclists. But when you are out alone in a sparsely populated area away from other noise, you want to listen to nature. The noisy freewheel ruins the ambiance.

·
Shuffleman
678 Posts
It may not make much difference when riding with noisy traffic around you or on a group ride with chatty cyclists. But when you are out alone in a sparsely populated area away from other noise, you want to listen to nature. The noisy freewheel ruins the ambiance.
Does that mean that turning up the radio is a bad idea?

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,409 Posts

·
Shuffleman
678 Posts
A radio on a bike? That is soooooo 1970s. :D
It was more a reference to my youth. If you heard a noise from your engine that you could not afford to repair, you just turned up the radio so that you could not hear the noise. Problem solved.
I run with the ipad but despise riding with any noise. I am not sure of my logic but it works for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts