Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a new road bike. I am an avid mountain biker and I am looking for something to mix it up with. Any reccomendations? I have Cannondale, Specialized, and Trek Dealers available in my area. I am 5'10" and weigh 200lbs. I am looking to spend below 1000.00. Thanks for your help!!
Tirx

·
Registered
10 Posts
Last week I was in the exact same situation as you are right now. I'm a mtn biker looking to get into road biking. I just bought the Giant TCR2. I haven't ridden too much but I like it alot so far. There are a ton of good bikes around $1000. Most I looked at tended to be $1000-$1100, so not technically below $1000. As you know from mtn biking, it may be worth spending that little bit extra for a good bike now though. For what it's worth, some of the other bikes I was looking at were the Giant OCR1, Trek 1500, Lemond Tourmalet, Cannondale R700, and Specialized Allez Elite. Go to your LBS and have them fit you to a bike. If you aren't comfortable with the way they fit you then go elsewhere. It seems that a good fit is more important than with mtn bikes, where alot of fit is based on your preferences.

·
Registered
255 Posts
sctirx1 said:
I am looking to get a new road bike. I am an avid mountain biker and I am looking for something to mix it up with. Any reccomendations? I have Cannondale, Specialized, and Trek Dealers available in my area. I am 5'10" and weigh 200lbs. I am looking to spend below 1000.00. Thanks for your help!!
Tirx

I too am a Mt biker and bought a road bike to improve my strength and endurance. I bought a Trek 1500, and I really am impressed with it. You can also look into the Specialized Allez. A friend just picked up an 05 model for $800. Make sure you are comfortable on the bike, it makes a differance. If you can go a little over, say $1100 out the door I suggest the 1500. The road bike has enabled me to ride more often, and get good workout in less time.

Sean

·
Registered
289 Posts
Giant OCR1

Go with the Giant OCR1, it is a great bike to begin on. Not the fastes bike around, but very comfortable. Check out Bicycling buyers guide, April 2006.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
if you know your size buy a used bike on craigslist or ebay

check the frame and components as you would any bike--if you are an avid mtb guy you should know your way around a bike. you can get a much better deal used. lots of guys upgrade in the spring so there are good deals to be found
I myself will be selling several frames and bikes--moving in july and won't be able o ride as before, plus the hassle of moving them.

jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts