Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some people expressed interest in seeing my DeSalvo when it was finished. Here it is. It is a steel frame with campy centaur (gray) components and wheels. Finished weight is around 18 to 18.5 pounds (haven't weighed it yet). It rides very nice, stiff, yet somewhat compliant. Mike DeSalvo is a nice guy to deal with and he went out of his way to get me the bike ahead of his schedule to suit my schedule. The welds look great and the finish (spectrum powder works) is excellent.
Tim

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tubing info

The tubing is sch 40 pipe. Just kidding. Columbus Life. It is their high end stuff, same as the Spirit tubeset as far as chemical composition, just not as thin walled. It makes a stiff frame, but still has a steel ride. The down tube is oval for added vertical rigidity. I like the paint job. I told Mike that I wanted black with "fancy" panels, not the typical style panels. It came out well. I wanted dark components so the frame would stick out more. Sometimes a frame doesn't stand out if it is a solid color or panels due to the shinny components. This way I feel the frame is one of the first things you notice without being flashy. Not that flashy frames are bad. My wife has a landshark with red/white/blue (patriotic) swirl paint job that looks good.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
I'm thinking white handlebar tape.

Sweet frame and parts but just too much black for me.

OTOH it is easy to change accents on a nice ride like that and no matter what you do with the colors it is still going to be a great bike.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
jtolleson said:
Everytime I see a DeSalvo I think of the Boston Strangler. ."

lol........thats funny miss Tolleson. Now I gotta clean up my keyboard. :D

On the serious side, thats a cool looking bike. I also like the fancy panels. Looks like it would ride sweet.

·
Twitterpated
3,118 Posts
No not white or silver, I really like the black bar tape it really goes with the whole look, the black wheels, my awesome reference to the blackbird, etc. Normally, I like white tape as a contrast to black but not in this case.

So there you go tim in wa, you've got three color suggestions, choose wisely. Just remember, that no matter what you pick, at least one of us is going to be super pissed! :mad5::mad5::mad5:

jk,
Tshirt

·
Cross Bike Collector.....
1,144 Posts
very nice Tim

Mike is on my short list: seen many of his creations at Cyclepath. very nice. I really want mike to build me a ti cross bike, but my wallet just wont let me (for now) :)

·
my legs hurt
1,041 Posts
Beautiful bike. If I had the funds for a custom frame, i would probably go with something a lot like that, understated parts and a beautiful paint job. Whoever built up the bike did an awesome job, the little details stand out; like lining up the headset spacers, getting the cables the perfect lengths in front, lining up tire logos, lining up bottom and top cusp on the headset, and i'm sure there are a million other tiny details that were attended to...in short amazing bike, thanks for sharing!!!

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
looks good

I like the panels, retro with a tweak. I agree white tape and saddle. otherwise you may need full goth kit. silver on white is a bit hard to read, the name needs a black pinline.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks

Everyone,
Thanks for all the compliments. It is hard to see, but the panels are not white but ivory. I think white tape or seat might not look good since it would stick out more than the ivory panels. I think silver/gray bar tape might look good though. Is that an option, can you get that color?? I may have to look into that. Maybe they make ivory bar tape, that might look good!! The bike came parially built and I did the rest. I'm a stickler for details, therefore, the head spacers lining up etc. It is a good bike and I have put almost 300 miles in the last two weeks. I feel bad for my mountain bike as I have not bee on it in a few weeks!
Thanks Again. I recommend Mike DeSalvo for anyone looking for a good custom bike!

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
there is ivory tape

and there is white with little flecks of natural cork, that looks ivory.
nice ride, spectrum did the paint right?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.