Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
College Student Commuter
Joined
·
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new to the world of cycling. So I just graduated from high school and started having an interest in cycling. I have biked before, but not much. I used to bike to school using a walmart bike(lol). So I don't really know squat about road bikes. I've researched for a couple of days already, but I still don't know a lot of the stuff, like geometry. Anyways, I was looking around and there were a couple road bikes that interested me; the Felt F95, Z100, and Z85.
I will probably cycle 20 miles a day or something during the summer. When I move out to college (Cal Poly SLO), I'm gonna use it as my transportation to and from classes. I will also use it for fitness means over the weekend.

So I just had a grad Party and I got some money from my relatives, and I'm planning on putting it and my money towards a road bike, My budget is $1000 for everything including the things I need to get started(helmet, pedals, shorts, shirt). I'm buying my bike at Sports Basement, so brands available are (Fuji, Felt, Jamis, Cannondale).

I will try to get fitted and test drive on monday or so.

Thanks for reading!
 

·
Cycling induced anoesis
Joined
·
13,019 Posts
Welcome to RBR. :)

You're looking at all good brands, and your budget will get you a pretty nice bike. Fit is very important, so work with the folks at Sports Basement, go out on the roads for test rides and pay attention to how all the bikes fit and feel. Oh, and don't forget to enjoy the experience in the process! :thumbsup:
 

·
College Student Commuter
Joined
·
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the kind welcome :)

One question, If I get the F95, should I get the team or the orange colored one? You think the normal orange color will be an eye catcher for thieves? I will keep the bike in my apartment dorm if I have to at night to prevent it from getting stolen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,651 Posts
You will need to keep the bike inside no matter what, plan on that.
 

·
Get me to In&Out
Joined
·
5,419 Posts
I would also plan on getting a beater for SLO. You don't want to commute to college on a high end bike. It will get knocked over and abused by everyone around you parking their walmart beater at school.
 

·
College Student Commuter
Joined
·
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will rent a bike locker if it's available, but if not, I will keep it inside. I am planning on joining the cycling club, so I could cycle long mileage over the weekends.

I'm dropping by sports basement today! I'm gonna get fitted.. woot woot
 

·
Cycling induced anoesis
Joined
·
13,019 Posts
xximanoobxx said:
Thanks for the kind welcome :)

One question, If I get the F95, should I get the team or the orange colored one? You think the normal orange color will be an eye catcher for thieves? I will keep the bike in my apartment dorm if I have to at night to prevent it from getting stolen.
I vote orange. The plan is to keep your bike away from thieves, so who cares what color they like. :)

Keep us posted on how your shopping excursion went.
 

·
College Student Commuter
Joined
·
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys, I just came back from SB. I only tested out the Felt F95. Man, I felt in love with it. It was my first time ever to actually ride a road bike. It was soooo fast. The only thing is that they only sold the team issue color. I like the orange better than the team, but I like the team issue as well. There are a couple of bike stores in my area that sells Felt, but idkThe person who helped me was really nice. He was very informative, patient, and he helped me fit the bike.
I heard that Sports Basement offers lifetime service for free I think, but I'm gonna ask them when I get back. I already reserved the bike itself(on hold for a week), since it's such an awesome bike, and it fits within my budget.

Any suggestions on what to do?
Thanks!
 

·
Cycling induced anoesis
Joined
·
13,019 Posts
xximanoobxx said:
Hey guys, I just came back from SB. I only tested out the Felt F95. Man, I felt in love with it. It was my first time ever to actually ride a road bike. It was soooo fast. The only thing is that they only sold the team issue color. I like the orange better than the team, but I like the team issue as well. There are a couple of bike stores in my area that sells Felt, but idkThe person who helped me was really nice. He was very informative, patient, and he helped me fit the bike.
I heard that Sports Basement offers lifetime service for free I think, but I'm gonna ask them when I get back. I already reserved the bike itself(on hold for a week), since it's such an awesome bike, and it fits within my budget.

Any suggestions on what to do?
Thanks!
If you want to stick with that particular store, then that's what you should do. We often say you shop for a shop along with shopping for a bike, and from all you've offered it seems as though both were a hit.

If you really prefer the orange ask if they can get one (in your size, obviously), otherwise if you like the team paint scheme, go for it.
 

·
College Student Commuter
Joined
·
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah. I'll get the team color. To me, I'll feel safer since the color won't attract thieves. I know I won't regret it.

Another question, since it was test driven by other people, you think I can ask them to reduce the price? Or get new handle grips or something?

Thanks for the help!
 

·
Cycling induced anoesis
Joined
·
13,019 Posts
xximanoobxx said:
Yeah. I'll get the team color. To me, I'll feel safer since the color won't attract thieves. I know I won't regret it.

Another question, since it was test driven by other people, you think I can ask them to reduce the price? Or get new handle grips or something?

Thanks for the help!
Doesn't hurt to ask. You could also ask if they offer a discount on accessories (helmet, gloves, saddle bag, etc.) with a bike purchase.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
xximanoobxx said:
Yeah. I'll get the team color. To me, I'll feel safer since the color won't attract thieves. I know I won't regret it.
Regardless of color, size, weight, price or looks of a bike it takes literally seconds to steal a bike. So I wouldnt worry about what thieves selection of stealing because once its gone its gone for good.
 

·
College Student Commuter
Joined
·
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
NotZeroSix said:
Regardless of color, size, weight, price or looks of a bike it takes literally seconds to steal a bike. So I wouldnt worry about what thieves selection of stealing because once its gone its gone for good.

I agree with you. Aren't there locks that protect up to certain amount of money?(Can anybody recommend me a secure lock?) Plus, I will keep the bike inside most of the time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,121 Posts
"lifetime service" doesn't mean much if you have to drive 3 hours to get it

you'd probably do better with a beater you can lock outdoors, and a nice bike for indoor storage


also, keep your eyes peeled for a 10% coupon, sports basement has them all the time (or shopping parties, watch for one of those),

you could also tell them you're a member of san jose fit (they never check) and you get 10% off from that
 

·
College Student Commuter
Joined
·
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey everyone, so after researching for a while, I've decided on what I'm getting tomorrow along with my F95.

Shopping List
Bike - Felt F95
Helmet - (Up to $60) - Bell Furio
Pump - Topeak Mini Blaster DX
Tool - 18 multitool, bike pedals wrench(will switch off with a normal and clipless pedal)
Bike Tubes
Saddle Bag
Cycling Shorts
Cateye micro wireless computer
Sub $100 shoe
Speedplay pedals(any suggestions? 120 max)

All these come out to about $1200, but my friend gave me a 20% discount coupon, which lowers the price i have to pay to about 960 before tax. I'm so happy I got this coupon. Without it, i wouldn't bother buying shoes and pedals, haha.

So are there other essentials I should get? I'm buying all tomorrow, since I only have 1 coupon, and I want to save as much as possible.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,317 Posts
the felt 95 in team issue colors are great. i'd get that as my first road bike.

DO NOT EVER LOCK IT OUTSIDE. DO NOT EVER LEAVE IT OUT OF SITE FOR MORE THAN 5 MINUTES. it will get stolen and you will be sad.

all good choices on your shopping list.

some comments:
-get 1 tube for now, and get a set of tire levers and learn to change tires. (you wont get as many flats as you think, i've biked over 1000 miles between my commuter, my mtb, and my road bike without 1 flat)
-get a bottle of chain lube. the most popular among the best lubes are Prolink (or Chain-L if you can find it.)
-if you're going to be doing your own pedal changes and you like to tinker with the bike (which you will of course) get some grease. its not the same as chain lube. use this on all threaded screws on the bike.
-make sure you keep it safe even inside your dorm. roommates steal, roommates' friends steal. lock it up even inside your dorm. and i repeat, do not ever lock it up outside.
 

·
College Student Commuter
Joined
·
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, I'm bringing 2 bikes to college, haha. One is a walmart bmx, which will be my everyday bike(ride to classes), then my felt would be my weekend bike(joining a cycling club, to stay fit).

For the pedals, I know I'm getting Speedplays, but idk what to get. I was thinking of either getting the zero or light action.

Thanks for the suggestions!
 
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top