Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
See if your LBS will swap it to a standard crank for you. Or you can always put different rings on the crank. I'm sure they may be willing to do that as well. The 50-11 actually is a bigger gear than 52-13. Bike calc indicates the 50-11 give you a 4.6 and the 52-13 gives you a 4.0.

And that is kind of the point of the compact crank, you lose your top end speed, but still have some easier gears to climb with, but not as easy as a triple.

If you use your 30 tooth upfront, you'll still get a good workout with the compact.

What is your cadence when in 52-13? If it is low, you may benefit from the compact.

I'm sure many people are happy with that gearing, so not everybody is going to swap it out. You can't make everybody happy.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
I'm in the market to buy a new road bike. I have looked at [on paper] Scott Speedster 40 and just about all of the bikes Giant have to offer. Most bikes seem to come with a double chain rings 50-34, and various rear cassette ranging from 11-28 to 11-30. My current bike has 52 -39-30 up front and rear of 11-30 , I mostly ride 52-13,15 , 17, on flat surfaces. My question is ,will a compact crank with 50-34 front and 11-13-15-17, ect on the rear , be easy to spin out ? My budget is limited to $1000.00 , with up grades, seat, tires, tubes, pedals, . And what is the sense of buying a new bike if they only offer bikes with gear ratios you will have to change once you get the bike?
If my main gears were 52-13,15 , 17, on flat surfaces (and pedaled at an efficient cadence) I'd be looking to get a pro racing license.

·
Recycle King
870 Posts
What is your average speed? I ride around 16-18mph but can get up to 24mph in a 50-13, though it's hard to maintain if you are riding solo. If I maintain my cadence around 85rpm, I can hit 26mph and if I jump to 50-12 and keep it at 85rpm, I can hit 29mph. Again, it's hard to maintain that pace if you are riding solo, unless you are a pro or a racer.

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
I'm in the market to buy a new road bike. I have looked at [on paper] Scott Speedster 40 and just about all of the bikes Giant have to offer. Most bikes seem to come with a double chain rings 50-34, and various rear cassette ranging from 11-28 to 11-30. My current bike has 52 -39-30 up front and rear of 11-30 , I mostly ride 52-13,15 , 17, on flat surfaces. My question is ,will a compact crank with 50-34 front and 11-13-15-17, ect on the rear , be easy to spin out ? My budget is limited to $1000.00 , with up grades, seat, tires, tubes, pedals, . And what is the sense of buying a new bike if they only offer bikes with gear ratios you will have to change once you get the bike?
I'm rarely on the 50-11 combo.... when you go test ride the bike, go try the 50-11, 50-12, etc....

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
If my main gears were 52-13,15 , 17, on flat surfaces (and pedaled at an efficient cadence) I'd be looking to get a pro racing license.
Cadence, Cadence, Cadence :)
Nothing like knowing what to do on a windy day.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Since you are new, perhaps you are mistaken about which chainring you are in...maybe you're in the 39 rather than the 52?

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Not knowing what the rear cassette gears were , I counted them. 52 -11 is hard to turn on flat, I'll admit that, and I can't maintain that gear for long on flat 1/4-1/2 mile, and the cadence is low. 52-13 I can run fine for about 2-3 miles with no head wind, 52 -15 is my main gear, and I can run that on flat for miles and miles, dropping down to 52-17 , on occasion, I'm no racer, to the point, racers are way way faster, and they run like 56-36 up front, they are way faster, 52-13, 15 17 are not fast , if I can do it , anyone can. I do ride a lot 800 miles so far this month, and try for 1000 a month. All this pro racer stuff is , uninformed, or you don't know what you are talking about.
If you happend to stick with cycling and learn how to do it you're going laugh at that comment some day.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Not knowing what the rear cassette gears were , I counted them. 52 -11 is hard to turn on flat, I'll admit that, and I can't maintain that gear for long on flat 1/4-1/2 mile, and the cadence is low. 52-13 I can run fine for about 2-3 miles with no head wind, 52 -15 is my main gear, and I can run that on flat for miles and miles, dropping down to 52-17 , on occasion, I'm no racer, to the point, racers are way way faster, and they run like 56-36 up front, they are way faster, 52-13, 15 17 are not fast , if I can do it , anyone can. I do ride a lot 800 miles so far this month, and try for 1000 a month. All this pro racer stuff is , uninformed, or you don't know what you are talking about.
800-1000 miles a month is no small accomplishment.

Why are you looking for a new bike? What do you have now? What if you do the upgrades "seat, tires, tubes, pedals(going clipless?)", and wheels(biggest improvement you can make) to your current bike?

The Scott is a good entry level bike but at 1000 miles a month you're past entry level.
If you're going to pay $1,000 you can probably do better than an 18 speed with Sora shifters.

The same upgrades you are planning for the Scott will make your current bike better and can easily be transferred to whatever bike you do purchase. Don't feel bad about test riding bikes at a local shop if you are going to spend a couple hundred on some shoes and pedals or a new saddle.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Damn, your just getting into cycling and you ride 400km a week? I'm a fairly high end CAT 2 rider and I rarely ride 400km a week. Also I've never heard of someone riding a 56 ring up front. The only time someone (pro rider) would use a 56 ring would be on a dead flat short time trial (tdf prologue). Tell me what team you get singed with though.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Using Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Gear Calculator, I found that a 52x15 gear at 90rpm (the "standard" efficient cadence) is 24.4mph. If you could hold that for "miles and miles" -- well, I'm guessing there are some pro race teams that would like to hire you.

I don't know that I've ever seen a bike with a front chainring larger than 53. Nobody would run a 56 / 36 combo up front as the shifting performance would be horrible.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
And you do that on a flat bar bike on MUTs! Good for you!

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/bikes-frames-forks/looking-faster-bike-305703.html

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
So all you haters and doubters
LOL, no one is hating you, doubting yes.
In roadbike terms you are mashing at the cadence you are pushing (60-70 based on your info), this isn't the "efficient/intended/norm" way to ride the bike. When someone states they are in a specific gear, folks are under the impression that you are somewhat in the norm for your cadence. Hence the doubt when you stated what gear you are spending your time in. You should seriously consider moving to a larger gear and start working on a faster cadence.
In regards to averaging speed, if you are using a computer to track rides they tend to be very conservative, a few stops, slow downs on a ride will drop give you an average speed several miles lower than the speed you are holding while riding, thus when a claim on speed is made things are up to interpretation.
In regards to mapmyride, in my case it seems to be optimistic on mileage for planning, maybe it's my efficiency on the road as my ride log will consistently come back with a slightly shorter distance vs. what MMR states the ride will be.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Yes my current bike is a flat bar road bike Ibex Corrida cx , weighs about 28 lbs, just rode 23.44 miles in 1 hour 16 minutes 11 seconds, had a little head wind but not much and not the whole ride. Stayed on the 15 and 17 back gears the whole way , as that is where I ride most of the time. MPH calculator said that distance and time =18.46 mph. Used a stop watch for the time and Map my Ride to calculate the distance. So all you haters and doubters , I don't claim to be fast , I don't ride with anyone, so I have no idea what fast is compared with other riders. I would consider myself as slow. I have been passed on trail by people who just blew me away , and I was working hard to keep up but could not. Anyone who wants to check out my routes , they are all on Map my Ride, Oil City Pennsylvania , most of the maps for bicycles are mine.
No haters here (why would we hate you?). But usually claims of speed, average speeds and gears used have to be taken with grains of salt on the internet as context is rarely given. Any can use whatever gears they like but unless average revs for a whole ride are around 85-100 then someone isn't using those gears efficiently. For example - for my core and leg strengthening my physiotherapist has me riding very shallow uphill grades in my highest gears (very strict style; no bobbing & cheating movements) and I'm revving at about 50 rpm flat out. I would never mention this out of the context of core strengthening as 50rpm is otherwise very inefficient use of gears.

And the gears you're claiming for your average speed are way too high. With 52-15 & 17 (94", 84"), at proper revs, you should be doing that 23.44 miles in under an hour - maybe 55 minutes. Try 52-18/19/21 for your average speed.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.