Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been very happy with my purchase, a 2009 Specialized Allez Sport. However, from reading a couple reviews online about the bike and (more importantly) first hand experience, the brakes are high on the list of things to upgrade first. So... which brakes should I go for? The groupset is 105 btw. Or should I upgrade and get Ultegra brakes?

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
The only difference between 105 and Ultegra brakes is the price, and a few grams.

Make sure the pads are aligned, toed in, and the rims are clean. Most shops don't spend the time to do it right but it is not hard to do at home. See the Park Tool web site for instructions.

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
I train on a bike with 105 and they stop great!!!!!!! A huge upgrade from the ones Specialized comes with.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
Gee... you guys make me feel REAL good ever since I upgraded my 6600 to 7800...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A from Il said:
I train on a bike with 105 and they stop great!!!!!!! A huge upgrade from the ones Specialized comes with.
105 it is... The ones that came on my bike are some generic brand

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
notwist said:
105 it is... The ones that came on my bike are some generic brand

just change the pads then... if the 'generic brand' brakes are dual pivot they will be all you need

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Try new pads first (Koolstop are my fav, but Shimano is OK too).
IMHO 90+% of complaints about road brakes are due to improper adjustment/alignment &/or poor pads rather than bad calipers. The generic Tektro "crap"that can on wife's entry level Giant actually work decently after a pad upgrade. You might find you are happy with that. If not, I agree that 105 vs Ultegra brakes is not functional but lighter weight & a nicer finish.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
FatTireFred said:
just change the pads then... if the 'generic brand' brakes are dual pivot they will be all you need
What he said. My old bike had Tektro which didn't stop worth a flip, but the levers were fine - it was the pads. Cane creek brakes are also good, just upgrade the pads.

·
Banned
2,088 Posts
notwist said:
Thanks for saving me some money... :biggrin5:
Speaking of money, if you look hard enough, you can pick up a set of Ultegra Brakes for 105 prices or at least, within the $10.-$20. range. :D

For example, a pair of dual pivot Ultegra brakes are $98. @ PricePoint.com

That's about what a set of 105's cost.

:)

·
Registered
296 Posts
That is a very decent price for the Ultegra.

2ndGen said:
Speaking of money, if you look hard enough, you can pick up a set of Ultegra Brakes for 105 prices or at least, within the $10.-$20. range. :D

For example, a pair of dual pivot Ultegra brakes are $98. @ PricePoint.com

That's about what a set of 105's cost.

:)

·
Banned
2,088 Posts
zigurate said:
That is a very decent price for the Ultegra.
I've always been smart about shopping.
I went crazy looking for a specific pair of shoes.
When I finally found them, I was so happy that I was willing to pay MSRP for them.
But my frugal nature got the best of me, so I kept looking.

Ended up getting not only the shoes, but some other accessories (bottle cages, cleaning kit, etc...) for less than the price I was initially willing to pay.

:D

I'm definitely going to get the Ultegra brakes this weekend (if they still have them).

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
My wife's Specialized has "generic" Specialized dual-pivot calipers, similar in finish & design to Shimano 105 ... they stop fine.

I wouldn't see any reason to spend $ on a caliper 'upgrade'.

However, I did change pads to Kool-Stop black. I mainly did it to avoid excessive wear on the aluminum rim, as I'd see small flecks of silvery-colored debris in the pads.
The Kool-Stop pads are softer and don't do this, plus the pads do provide a bit more stopping force without being "grabby".

For $16, replacing the pads is worth it and about the only $$ I'd spend on what are probably already decent calipers, in your case.

·
Registered
65 Posts
change the pads and try that, just few bucks and can use pads in other breaks if you don't like it. Plus breaks only slow you down, save the money for something else.

·
Integrated Cyclist
95 Posts
Oldteen said:
Try new pads first (Koolstop are my fav, but Shimano is OK too).
IMHO 90+% of complaints about road brakes are due to improper adjustment/alignment &/or poor pads rather than bad calipers. The generic Tektro "crap"that can on wife's entry level Giant actually work decently after a pad upgrade. You might find you are happy with that. If not, I agree that 105 vs Ultegra brakes is not functional but lighter weight & a nicer finish.
I'll echo this sentiment. I have $15 Tektro calipers on my bike and they work VERY well.

2ndGen said:
Why stop @ 7900s? Why not Di2 7970s?
I get that you're joking. But I'll add that the Di2 calipers actually have a different leverage ratio.It's another "technical innovation" from Shimano that guarantees you have to buy yet another groupset item in order to upgrade to Di2. It also ensures that you cannot use a Di2 on a cyclocross bike (until someone comes out with a travel adjuster).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts