Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is my first post here. I recently got into cycling and bought a Cannondale SuperSix Tiagra. I mainly ride flat roads and some rolling hills. My group is planning to try the Glendora Mountain Road (about 5.5%) in two months. Do I need new brakes for the ride if I have the Tiagra 4600 with the stock pads?

From my search on the forum, it looks like braking technique is more important than the kind of brakes I have? Or maybe brake pads replacement would be enough? I don't foresee riding moderate to steep downhill every week. Please help, thanks!

TK

·
Registered
268 Posts
I've got the same setup, and I don't have any braking issues. Granted I'm not riding any super long descents on the brakes. But on the longer descents around here, I will alternate the front and rear to scrub the speed.

·
Registered
73 Posts
How long is this 5.5% grade? I ask because I rode down plenty of 8-9% grade hills with the stock, unbranded calipers on my old Trek. A swap to KoolStops and it was acceptable. At any rate, I suspect your brakes will be fine.

(New bike has Apex calipers and they are noticeably more solid than the calipers on the old bike.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.