Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Banned
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UPS man just dropped off the Saddle , Post , and Cage

Not sure if I like the look better this way or w/ the Thompson/Aliante combo

W/ Aliante/Thompson

75 here in NY . Gonna take a spin and see how the saddle feels . Comfort may make the decision for me...

· Banned
7,191 Posts
As much as I hate to admit it, with that stem and those wheels, the black post looks better. But I would keep the regal- it's one of the most comfortable saddles ever.

No matter how you look at it, that's a beautiful bike.

· Banned
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wish a company out there would make a nice silver stem . The thompson is ugly and the Deda isn't silver . But they make a silver Newton bar that is actually silver . Oh well , you can't have everything .. Well maybe Tom brady can , but I can't ......

· Banned
7,191 Posts
PinarelloFan said:
I wish a company out there would make a nice silver stem . The thompson is ugly and the Deda isn't silver . But they make a silver Newton bar that is actually silver . Oh well , you can't have everything .. Well maybe Tom brady can , but I can't ......
Hey, with enough elbow grease, any black component can be silver.

just sayin'...

· Registered
2,076 Posts
Nitto makes silver threadless stems.

I think a silver seatpost and white Flite would be the way to go.

· eminence grease
18,559 Posts
Very nice bike.

I'd keep the DA post and find a silver stem. Nice match for the alloy cranks.

Lose the B/W stem in any case, too modern for that frame.

The black stem and post are okay, but I do think silver would be better.

Nitto and Oval are two options. That IRD stem is kinda weird. I have one and I have never mounted it because it just feels like nothing. I'm afraid it will break.

· Banned
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The post is Colnago Ti.(selfco) , not DA . I really love that stem . It will be tuff to remove . I'm hopping to find the right silver stem... Probably not gonna happen . I will more then likely go w/ the Thompson post w/ regal saddle.

There is a much bigger problem . (or not a problem) This bike made me realize how special my Pegoretti is . They are truley in different classes . Sorry Ernesto .. Not that he would care .. Business is good there .. lol

Killer bike , but falls short !! Maybe it's an unfair comparison .

· eminence grease
18,559 Posts
PinarelloFan said:
There is a much bigger problem . (or not a problem) This bike made me realize how special my Pegoretti is . They are truley in different classes . Killer bike , but falls short !! Maybe it's an unfair comparison .
Surprising to hear that, I have an MxL that I have been on since 2000 and a Peg and there really is no comparison. In the other direction.

· Registered
491 Posts
Here's how mine is coming along:

Things that I will change:
- Stem and spacers. Both silver. Thinking Thomson X2. Trim the housings.
- Wheels. (Handbuilts. All Silver)
- Maybe a straight seatpost instead of the setback

Started out with HUDZ white brake hoods on it. They looked great, but I found them really uncomfortable.

· Banned
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
terry b said:
Surprising to hear that, I have an MxL that I have been on since 2000 and a Peg and there really is no comparison. In the other direction.
Guess it's like blondes or brunettes . Everyone has there preference . Don't get me wrong , it's a great ride . But not magic . But like blondes and brunettes , I like to hop on them both......From your knowlege and quality of stable , your opinion is respected above most ....

What Pegoretti model ??

· Banned
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
bigbill said:
Classic steel frames need Regal saddles. I have them on all my bikes. I need a new one for my pegoretti, I wish they still had silver rivets.
I called all over the country lookg for silver rivit regals . Some even chuckled when I asked . They are long gone . It's odd , you see so many nos saddles on ebay , but not those . I guess for obvious reasons . The brass will clash w/ many builds

· Registered
491 Posts
PinarelloFan said:
Although it's needed for some , a setback post can make any bike hard on the eyes IMO . You don't have one on that cannondale . what made you use one on this ? Was the geometry that different ? I considered those cranks , how do u like um
Though there is not a visible curve one the cannondale's stem, the clamp itself is offset from the post axis by about one inch. The Thomson setback is pretty close to the same. On the normal (straight) Thomson posts, the clamp is on the post axis, so I thought I may need the setback. I do like to have my saddle back a little ways. In the riding I've done so far, I like the way it feels where it is now, and looking at the rails, it couldn't go back much further (maybe 1/8")

I think it looks a funny as well, especially with the straight fork.

I wouldn't be a good judge on the cranks. I had 9speed Record cranks on the C'dale and I can't say I feel any difference.

· Banned
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
terry b said:
I have a Fina, and so it's a bit of an "oranges to tangerines" type of comparison.

But more importantly, I like Colnago's approach to geometry more than Pegoretti's. The biggest difference is in how they "sit", not how rough or smooth they are.

Yes , apples and oranges .That is aluminum vs. steel . I would say Ernesto designed this as a race frame . I have a Duende which I wouldn't really consider a race frame . Although you can and sure some do.

Both my bikes are set up w/ similar group wheels and cockpit so it's a closer comparison ...

· Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Did someone say Colnago ML? Just took this picture over the weekend.

Believe the Frame and Fork are 1997.
Stem = Nitto Technomic Deluxe
Bars = Nitto Noodle
Post = Nitto Crystal Fellow
Group = 2006 Record (Alloy Cranks)
Cables = White Jagwire
Seat = White Regal

You must go with White Regal on that bike. <strike>The curtains must match the drapes. </strike> I mean the seat must match the tape.

RE: Red Tires: I bought a case last year, and at the time I had two black bikes and a red bike. It made sense. Then I decided to build this frame/fork again, using what I had if I could.

Just because the cycling man is so cool ...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.