Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last month, between Zwift rides and life, I built a new bike. In the past, my LBS has always built my bikes however, I really wanted to learn how to assemble a bike from scratch. I figured it could not be that difficult and it was really not that bad - once I had all the proper tools and parts. It was a great experience and I'm glad I took the time to learn how to build-up from scratch. For all die-hard cyclists, I truly recommend building at least one bike so you know exactly what to do when something goes wrong. A project such as this is the perfect excuse to go out and buy yourself some decent torque wrenches and other tools. I picked-up various Park Tool staples and a Topeak D-Torq DX (4 to 80 Nm) and CDI Torqcontrol (2 to 8 Nm) torque wrenches.

Components:

2016 Scott Foil Premium frameset (Integrated stem/bar)
2017 Dura Ace 9150 DI2, conventional brakes, crank 52/36, cassette 12-25
Enve 7.8 SES Wheels
Shimano Dura Ace SPD SL Carbon Road Pedals
Fizik Aliante R1 Saddle

I have always been dead against electronic groupsets however I'm now a total convert. Shifts are fast and crisp and puts my 2011 Super Record mechanical groupset to shame. The bike rides like a dream and soaks up all road noise and most bumps. I no longer feel compelled to avoid manhole covers. This bike is a Cadillac compared to my Time RXRS Ulteam Black Label, yet Power transfer seems much better. The Enve 7.8s are fast as hell however they seem a bit flexy. I definitely require additional brake pad clearance. It was very windy this evening and the wheels handled things better than my 2011 Easton EC90 Areos. I felt the wind however I was not nudged around at all. I'm looking forward to some bar tape and a long ride.

Cheers!
Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel
Bicycle part Product Bicycle accessory Bicycle saddle Bicycle
Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel rim
Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim

·
Registered
580 Posts
Great build looks fantastic. I was not very impressed with electronic shifting either but had never ridden it until I bought my F2. Long story but it wasn't the bike I wanted or ordered but now that I own it I'm sold on electronics. I have sprint shifters and find I like ridding in the drops more because of easy shifting with my short fingers. If your used to dialing in your derailleurs on occasion and the new cable replacements every so often and like that than Di2 is going to rob you of that experience. Enjoy the bike it looks like a fun project.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts